Hello there

My avatar
zanimo
Clothie
Clothie

Hello there

Postby zanimo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 am

Hey everybody,

I'm new to cloth nappies as I don't have a baby yet - we're 2 days overdue at the moment so thought this is the perfect time to check up on the things I'm not sure about!

I've been given a mothercare terry towel starter pack and also a bag full of lovely totsbots nappies, the thing that's puzzling me is the the nappy liners. The ones that came with the terry pack seem incredibly scratchy and like they would be to rough on a newborn's skin (or any age baby really) I certainly wouldn't want to use them myself!
The totsbots nappies say they require them too but I don't know if it can be any kind of liner.

Am I getting it all wrong and the liner won't be touching the baby? I've been looking at youtube videos and practising all my folds, but can't seem to find the answer.

Thank you!

Zan

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Hello there

Postby ladybird » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi and welcome!!! You've come to the right place.
Good luck with the birth, hopefully baby won't be too much longer for you!

I'm guessing the liners you have are paper? Whatever they're made of you really don't *need* them at all anyway. People use them for catching poo so it's easier to flush, but newborn poo (for babies breastfed at least) is so runny that they're pretty useless. If you did want a softer alternative then fleece is common and really easy to make yourself - fleece doesn't fray so you can chop up an old fleece blanket or just buy a length of fleece and cut to size.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 pm

hiya and welcome :) :cnthug:

I'm sure there will be lots of lovely ppl here to answer your q's ;)

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi & welcome.

I used to use paper liners to catch poo but they gave DS2 a rash so I as already said, I cut a fleece baby blanket & use those instead. I didn't use cloth with my boys until they were 4 months old but BF poos are runny so you may find it easier to just rinse then pop them in the machine. When they're older you may find fleece liners a better option. You just lay them in the nappy so that it's the part in contact with babies bum - wee passes through, poo gets caught....well theoretically it does!

Best wishes for your impending birth :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 pm

:wave: Hi and welcome.
As people have said it is probably paper liners you have. We have always used fleece, the firt lot I made was a cut up scarf of our middle child :giggle: I prefer minkee ones now tough.

It is a bit mind boggling at first but any questions just ask. Do you know what sort of Totbots you got, if they are bamboo and new then they will need pre washing :wink: xx

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave:

My avatar
zanimo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby zanimo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 am

Thank you all very much for being so welcoming and your tips - I feel a lot more confident now!
Just need a nappy wearer now...
I'll be in touch again soon, thank you!

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 am

You've had lots of great advice so just saying :wave: and welcome :D

Hope baby doesn't keep you waiting much longer :wine:

My avatar
laceybat