hf1

Another Southener!

My avatar
gummymummy
Clothie
Clothie

Another Southener!

Postby gummymummy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi just got this website recommended and thought I would say hello and have a look round. I am having my first baby on Friday (caesarean) and keen to use reusables. Am a bit confused about newborn nappies - they seem to be a law unto themselves! Any advice would be gratefully received. I am seeing the council nappy man tomorrow who is going to give me a few nappies to play with for a few weeks.

Gummymummy :wave:
Last edited by gummymummy on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Another Southener!

Postby Louise » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:08 pm

:wave: Welcome to CNT. There are quite a few threads about newborn/small nappies recently. Have a read of them, some of the info should help. Anything you can't find the answer to, just shout. :wink: Hope the CS goes well.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi and welcome to the tree :wave:
And congratulations on the impending arrival!

Do you know which nappies the council will let you try? It also might make a difference if you plan on using a dryer or simply line dry. Personally I found in the first couple of weeks folding a muslin and securing with a nappi nippa worked well, then a wrap on top. They don't stay small for long, so didn't seem worth buying the extra small nappies. But after that... it's a minefield of temptation :giggle:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:16 pm

:wave:
Hiya from the south coast :D Where abouts in the south are you? I'm in Poole, my name is Lisa and I have three beautiful children, Steven (6), Alana (3) and Kellan (18 mths) and am pregnant with our fourth and last :giggle: Have a look around, try the classifieds for second hand nappies so you can try a variety before finding what fits your baby best, there's plenty to choose from!

Pockets - these you use by themselves and have a "pocket" in the back of them to stuff with boosters to make them as absorbant as you need.
Fitteds - these are nappies that need a wrap (a "plastic" or PUL cover/wool cover/fleece cover)
AIO - All In Ones are nappies that are literally that, all in one so no need for wraps/boosters to be stuffed as they are all built in.
AI2 - All In Twos are nappies that are altogether but you can unsnap the boosters to wash them separately.
Flats - these are terry squares or prefolds that can be folded to use under wraps.

Then there are three types of closure - poppers, velcro or nippa style (nappy nippas are like safety pins but safer :giggle: ).

Hope that helps a bit, definitely a good idea to get a bundle from the council and try them all :) Good luck on Fri, we look forward to hearing you birth announcement :hug: Do you know what you're having?

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:28 pm

:wave: welcome to the tree.

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic