Introducing myself

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Introducing myself

Postby Soupdragon » Mon May 12, 2008 3:40 pm

Hello all,

I found this site a while ago and registered then, back when I first started looking into different cloth options. Since then I've not posted, but I have lurked and found this site a really useful mine of information regarding all things cloth. So I thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I'm Nichola, I'm 30, I'm married to Patrick and we're expecting our first LO (EDD 16/05/08). Does that entitle me to use this emoticon? :pregnant: :D Love it! As this is our first child, I have no experience of actually using cloth yet. But I have spent the past few months learning about the different nappies and building my own cloth stash. DH thinks I'm completely out of control as my cloth habit has taken a turn for the worse since I finished work and can now full-time surf for reviews and recommendations. And, more importantly, shop and await fluffy mail. :oops: I hope to cloth nappy Bub from the day that he/she arrives, so have some muslins and wraps in newborn size to get us through the first few weeks. There's also some size 1 Tots Bots available. And, once Bub has grown a little, there's some pockets and AIOs to try out. If any of you have any advice/suggestions about nappying a newborn, they'd be gratefully received. I've started to worry about cord care with regards to cloth nappies - particularly how to avoid irritating such a delicate area. So that's me.

Sorry to have written an essay. I'll look forwards to chatting with you all.

Nichola

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Introducing myself

Postby Rae » Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Welcome Nichola, glad you have made it out of lurkdom and said hello.
I'm Rae, and have Kayleigh in cloth from 5 days. So her cord was already gone before we put her in cloth. Being my first I was a little paranoid about the cord, especially in an area where cloth is so left field. I would like to hear how many nappies you have already bought. I think this forum could make you try many more different types.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon May 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Hiya and welcome, wow not long to go now until your baby arrives, how exciting.

I'm glad you have come out of lurkdom, I look forward to hearing news of he imminent arrival and chatting cloth and everything else with you!

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi there and welcome, i am a Nicola too!! Sooo exciting expecting your 1st LO. Hope all goes well when he/she arrives.

No advice on newborn nappies but there has been about 4 new arrivals on the 'tree' in these last few weeks so sure there is someone more qualified who can help on that side of things, look forward to chatting more Nichola :D

My avatar
millercl_6
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby millercl_6 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:52 pm

conratulations on the pregnancy not long now must be getting well wxcited :) good for you going for cloth nappies

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Mon May 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Hello and welcome :D

Lots of mums on the board have got little babies so I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice :D

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue May 13, 2008 6:44 am

Hi Nichola - welcome to the tree :D

Im Sadie, mum of 3, and my daughter has been in cloth since she was 12 hours old with no problems at all. There are lots of lovely ladies on this forum who will be more than happy to offer help and advice, (and provide you with lots of temptation) on cloth nappies, from when your little one arrives right up to potty training. We do chat about other things too, not just nappies all of the time :lol: hope you join in.

I see you are due in a few days - best of luck, hope things all go well, and look forward to chatting.

Sadie xx

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue May 13, 2008 7:55 am

Morning, I'm Annette mum to Benjamin, used cloth from the beginning which you can read about here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2889

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue May 13, 2008 11:04 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :)

Annette - I saw your thread and read about you folding down the nappies under the cord; that seems to be standard advice. How about wraps going over the top of the nappy? Do you need to do anything special here? Or am I just being really paranoid and worrying about nothing?!

Rae - here's a list of my stash:

Flat
10x Little Ewe muslin squares (80cm)

Shaped
15x rainbow Tots Bots size 1 (a special offer purchase I hope I don't regret!)
1x Motherease Sandys small

Pockets
1x Wee Notions small
1x Upsy Daisy Nappies small
1x Pocket Bots Plus small
1x Fuzzi Bunz small
4x BumGenius One size (v2 - bought on BOGOF, hence having 4)

AIO
1x BumGenius v2 small
1x Prorap small

I also have the following wraps:

3x Motherease Rikki Wrap small PUL
5x Tots Bots size 1 PUL
1x Tots Bots size 1 fleece
1x Nature Babies Classic medium PUL

Miranda at Twinkle on the Web had advised me that the Tots Bots and Sandys should be fine from birth (giving me 16 nappies, plus the 10 muslins) - but it's hard to know, as I have no idea about Bub's size. I'm hoping to be able to use the pockets and AIOs after the first month, once Bub has chunked up a little. I'm half-expecting to have to nippa the Tots Bots for a while, even though they are aplix, just to ensure a good fit and because of my paranoia about the cord. :D Any reassurances/comments/advice about the stash would be welcome. :) I think I'm just really ready to have this baby so I can crack on with it all, rather than wondering how it's going to work out all the time.

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers