Hopeful first time cloth user

My avatar
rebelecca
Clothie
Clothie

Hopeful first time cloth user

Postby rebelecca » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22 am

Morning All!

I'm new- my name's Rebecca, I'm 23, student midwife (currently on hiatus), and mum to my gorgeous 6m.o daughter, called Brianna.

We're not very clued up about this whole cloth thing- my only experience being using terry towelling nappies as an all purpose cloth on my changing mat to keep my LO's bum warm, or when out as a makeshift change mat. My problem with disposables is the guilt I feel every time I have to change Brianna's bottom and the massive amount of room the disposables take up in the bin!

I did a bit of research and decided I fancied giving cloth a go so I went in search of some nappies. I live in a small area and my local baby shop stocks Tots Bots and Bambino Mio, both of which it was selling off at half price as they never shift their stock now that the council has stopped its cloth nappy incentive. So I came home with a set of medium size Bambino Mio ( 12 nappies, 3 wraps) which cost me a mere £25.

So, I did a prewash but couldn't bare waiting any longer to do any more prewashes so Brianna is wearing the nappies for the first time today. I'm going to change her 1-2 hourly as I am aware the nappies wont have reached their full absorbancy yet.

Does anyone have any experience of Bambino Mios? And/ or any experience of handwashing nappies?

Bex x

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Hopeful first time cloth user

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 am

:wave: Hi and welcome

I never used "Bambino Mio" but did use another brand of prefolds when my LO was small and they were great, but i got sucked into the world of gorgeous fluff and have used many brands since :giggle:
BUT i have a friend who has used BM from birth to PTing and thinks they are fab, and has never used anything else :shock:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:35 am

i still use per fold on my lo when we are just at home an i love them but i need larger wraps now but also got draged int to pretty fitted which i use more with wool

My avatar
rebelecca
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rebelecca » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 am

I too have a friend who has used BMs right the way through and adores them, I thought they might be a good starting place, although I am having a little bit of difficulty adjusting the Velcro on the wrap to stop them gaping at the front. I wonder if this problem will be solved once the nappies shrink a little more after a few more washes?!
x

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:41 am

you colud be over folding and making it too bulky for you lo asthat what i found on my lo

My avatar
rebelecca
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rebelecca » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 am

I'll have to try folding different ways to see if I can improve the snugness. Probably doesn't help that my LO doesn't have much of a tummy!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:54 am

rebelecca wrote:I'll have to try folding different ways to see if I can improve the snugness. Probably doesn't help that my LO doesn't have much of a tummy!

mine doesn't either do you nipper or just fold

My avatar
rebelecca
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rebelecca » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am

laceybat wrote:
rebelecca wrote:I'll have to try folding different ways to see if I can improve the snugness. Probably doesn't help that my LO doesn't have much of a tummy!

mine doesn't either do you nipper or just fold

Just folded so far. Very early days for me, I'm a bit clueless :giggle:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:05 am

I wouldn't like to handwash dans nappies to be honset :puke: :lol: but I suppose you could
I liked the prefold but didn't get on with the wraps. I came on here to find new wraps and then ended up buying loads of other things as well!

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers