First Time Mum to Be in Manchester

My avatar
Wiserabbit
Clothie
Clothie

First Time Mum to Be in Manchester

Postby Wiserabbit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 am

Hello!

A friend sent me a link to this forum for a Mei Tai pattern, and I thought you all looked like such sensible and grounded ladies it was worth joining!

I'm expecting my first baby in roughly six weeks time. We are planning a home birth in water (fingers crossed it all goes to plan) for our new one, who we know for certain is a little boy. I won't pretend I'm not nervous and feeling slightly overwhelmed by it all! I don't think I'd be human if I wasn't!

A bit about me - I've just turned 30 and have been married for three years. Last August I left a successful career in change management following a restructure, that changed my working conditions to the point that staying on was untenable (500 a week mile commute -er . .. don't think so!). Seeing as I had a natural career break, we decided the timing was good and I found out within a few weeks that I was expecting. Much faster than I thought it would be given my brother has serious fertility problems. Going from a independent career woman to a pregnant housewife was a fairly major adjustment but I'm slowly getting used to it.

I'm a strong believer in going through life doing as little harm to the environment and others as possible. I'm a strict vegetarian and a firm "make-do and mender". My mum taught me to sew when I was six and it is the best thing I have ever learned to do! When I couldn't afford that Calvin Klien graduation dress I just copied it and made my own. :sew: My husband and I are both animal lovers and live with our two house rabbits, our chinchilla, three degu and a bonkers and ancient canary.

I have a plan too! I'm registered self employed now, and all being well would like to work from home part-time when my maternity allowance ends, using my skills as a seamstress. I'm primarily an historical costumier, but if it involves a needle and thread I can do it so won't be restricting myself. Hopefully this will mean I can be at home for baby and make enough to pay for food bills!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better. :D

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: First Time Mum to Be in Manchester

Postby little1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 am

welcome :wave:

I started to learn to sew only last friday, made my first nappy yesterday and it's a fab fit. Maybe you could use your skills to make your own nappies, there's lots of good links for free patterns on here.

Good luck with the home birth, we were hoping for one for our first baby but labour went on too long so ended up in hospital, hope you have more luck. It's a scary/ exiting time the last few weeks just enjoy it, stay relaxed and get as much sleep as you can and you'll be fine.

Lou x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 am

:wave: ;) was nice to see you yesterday :)

My avatar
Wiserabbit
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Wiserabbit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am

Thank you both!

You too Steph - I'm starting on my Mei Tai this morning!

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:49 am

Hello and welcome :wave:

Glad you joined us, this place is invaluable :D If not a bit nutty :hohoho:

Sounds like you been through lots of changes in the last year!! Hope everything goes really well for the birth (last baby born at home in water-thoroughly recommend it :D ) and good luck with the sewing. You'll be on here as a WAHM before you know it! Now get practising those nappies... :sewing:

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Welcome! Congrats on :pregnant:

I did my own mei tai as well and I use it all the time. I would recommend sewing two while you're at it, so you're not housebound when one's in the wash.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 pm

"sensible and grounded ladies" :hohoho: that is a first for us I think.

Hi and welcome, I got a sewing machine for Christmas and ermm it is still in the box!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:57 pm

helllllllllloooo another manc here :wave:

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Hello! :wave: I'm another Manc (by current location- Scot by birth though) and am also a first time Mum to be (very shortly as our baby boy is due on Good Friday and is now fully engaged!). I'm a nurse by trade so am good with my hands in some ways (I look after teenie tiny prem babies) but I'd really love to learn to sew properly so I could make more. I've started off with a sock monkey and sock bunnies and am now thinking of progressing to a peg bag! :giggle: Maybe you could give me some tips on where to start properly :D

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers