hf1

Hello! Please help - no idea where to start!

My avatar
mummymads
Clothie
Clothie

Hello! Please help - no idea where to start!

Postby mummymads » Mon May 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Hello all!
I'm Maddy, mum to a DD (2 yrs od) with another DD due in September :)
I'd love to use cloth this time round (used disposables with DD - but the expense, - ouch!)... I've been reading lots of the articles on here, but I'm still hopelessly confused... I don't really understand how many bits and pieces you need for each type of nappy, and which is best... can anyone advise?
I'll be doing a load of washing every other day, and drying on the line if the weather is good, or drying on the airer... I'll also be breastfeeding hopefully for the first 6 months or so. Can anyone recommend which sort of nappy is best for the above?? Also - is one of the kits you see on line the best way forward?
thanks for you help in advance...!
Many thanks
Maddy

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Hello! Please help - no idea where to start!

Postby knees_on » Mon May 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi :wave:
Unfortunately for you no one nappy is 'the best nappy'. Its all very much personal taste. The best way to find out is to try a few different types and then you will find the ones you like :D Although the most popular on here tend to be fitted nappies and wool covers (me included).

Have a look on classifieds as you can find real bargains and cloth nappies are great as you can sell them on without losing too much money. I saw a post the other day where a lady spent £150ish on nappies aand sold them on again for £30 less and they were used for 6 months :shock: . Now £30 for nappies for 6 months is a bargain in anyone's books!!!!

Its great fun experimenting and trying lots out, maybe you could try on DD first and get a feel for which you prefer before bubs comes.

HTH

Lucy

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon May 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi Maddy :wave:

Welcome to the Tree :cnthug:

Like Lucy said, no one can really say what are the "best" nappies as everyone has personally preferances & it also depends on the baby. If you plan on using cloth right from birth, you will need newborn size nappies to start (unless you have big babies 9lb+). You have a choice there of 40cm terries or bamboo squares or newborn sized fitteds and you will need wraps to go on top of those. I didn't use cloth from birth but I think generally people try to have at least 25-30 nappies in this size as babies tend to need more nappy changes when they are small.

Then you will move onto the small or size 1 nappies and wraps. I had 15 of these but really could have done with some more.

Try a few different brands. You will find lots on classifieds & you will be able to sell them on after use too so you will get back some of the money you spend.

Best thing you can do is read as much as you can. There are a couple of threads on newborn nappies which are recent.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Mon May 30, 2011 1:56 pm

knees_on wrote:Hi :wave:
Unfortunately for you no one nappy is 'the best nappy'. Its all very much personal taste. The best way to find out is to try a few different types and then you will find the ones you like :D Although the most popular on here tend to be fitted nappies and wool covers (me included).

Have a look on classifieds as you can find real bargains and cloth nappies are great as you can sell them on without losing too much money. I saw a post the other day where a lady spent £150ish on nappies aand sold them on again for £30 less and they were used for 6 months :shock: . Now £30 for nappies for 6 months is a bargain in anyone's books!!!!

Its great fun experimenting and trying lots out, maybe you could try on DD first and get a feel for which you prefer before bubs comes.

HTH

Lucy

WSS^^^
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Return to Welcome Newcomers