hf1

New mom that loves cloth! (a couple questions)

My avatar
runjumpclimbswim
Clothie
Clothie

New mom that loves cloth! (a couple questions)

Postby runjumpclimbswim » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi, I am a new mom but have been using cloth since lo was 10 days old. Loving the cloth experience and SO glad to find the CNT!

I have a few questions...

- Do wool soakers work during the day? What do you use under them, a Little Lamb or Tots bots?

- When traveling someplace where you can't do washing what do you go for? We are taveling to the Lakes for Christmas and I am thinking about using flips. We have the wraps but haven't tried anything but the staydry inserts, so thinking of getting disposables. But thought that the Charlie Banana ones might be better or G Diaper inserts? Anyone had any experience with any of these?

Thanks for keeping this website going - its a great resource for a newbie!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: New mom that loves cloth! (a couple questions)

Postby KimmyM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:17 pm

I did the Flip disposable inserts and to be honest I wouldn't bother again but then that could just be me. I could pop a couple in the post to you to try first if you like just PM me you address.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Wool will work just fine during the day and a Little Lamb or similar would be great underneath.
How long are you away for? Do you have enough nappies to last without washing? I have handwashed on holiday before when I really had to but I did use pockets so there were lots of thin layers to dry rather than a thicker, fitted nappy.

My avatar
sugarplum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sugarplum » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 pm

if you a trerry square/old mus;lins/old towel etc as inserts it all dries flat really quickly as it is only one layer when opened up! if you are in a caravan etc use the radiators/ hearters and dry the nappies and if camping you can air dry by pegging onto the guy ropes!!! i really wouldnt bother with the disposable pad you may as well use sposies if you are gonna do this as they have the same convenience/ disposable versus cost/ environmental impact comparrisons! sorry that prob dosent make sence but im bf as i write!
hope this helps a bit. i use a combination of terry squares and motherease and totsbots and i have a few bv mummy made/ cnt made nappies and i find it fine travelling/ campiong and i always fine one way or another to dry after washing. most camp sites have a washing/dry facility these days or you could find a local laundrette just to wash and dry as i suggested above! its just a one off and saves you having to buy sposies!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi & welcome to the site :wave:

Wool is fab during the day. Little lambs or any fitted nappy are great underneath.

How long are you away for? I've managed 5 days without needing to wash. Like a pp suggested, you could use terry towels as inserts & hand wash & boil like our mothers used to. I hate disposables but if you need to use them, you need to use them. They do have their uses :wink:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Hello & welcome to cloth nappy tree!
:wave:

Wool is great over any fitted nappy. Night or day! I find it needs to be more lanolised overnight or you need to have your absorbency absolutely perfect in the nappy for it to work overnight.

We went camping for 5 days last year with cloth. Luckily we had access to a washer/dryer on the site which we used once.
We stuck to flips, itti's & BBOS pockets for us. We needed good absorbency as James was 18 months old and could widdle quite a bit at times, but had to balance it with drying times.
If you can use terries/ prefolds with wraps - then that would be ideal!

My avatar
runjumpclimbswim
Clothie
Clothie

Postby runjumpclimbswim » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 pm

:bf:
Thanks so much ladies! What a warm welcome :) I think we might try and just take flips with SD's and see how we get on. Can always pick up disposables if needs must.

Okay 2 more questions to throw at you -

-Whats your set up for reusable wipes? We have tried a cup of water on the changing table shelf but DH always spills it! Now I have an old lotion pump filled with water so he can't spill it but he finds this fiddly. Any other ideas?

-What is the advantage of fleece liners if you're already using a pocket nappy (like bumgenius or totsbots)? Is it just to keep staining at bay?

Thanks!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:57 am

I tend to just wet to order now and I keep my wipes in the bathroom next to the sink however I use to use a cheeky wipes kit box which I have somewhere and have been meaning to sell for a few pines plus postage let me know if tour interested. It is handy I use to just wet 10 wipes at a time in Chamomile tea so I never had the whole stale water worry.
And as far as I know yes it save's stain in your nappies, makes them easier to clean and helps save your nappies from barrier creams I've never used them but I've heard they can be a nightmare to clean off, so I guess easier off the liners.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:29 am

I have a big tub on the window ledge next to the changing table where I store my wet reusable wipes. (ironically it's a big pampers box that I got free!)

When used they go straight in the bucket. If I'm going out: I just grab a handful and put in my wipes bag (small monkey foot bag)

We use fleece liners for a few reasons:
- protects the nappy from staining (cheaper and easier to replace the liners, as sunning the stains out in Manchester over winter is a rare occasion!!)
- when we need to use a barrier cream, it protects the nappy
- helps dispose of Eleanors weaning poop ( we didn't use them at all when she was exclusively bf!)
- we use fitteds as well as pockets, and they don't have a stay dry inner, so we use a liner for them!

Hope that helps!

Next

Return to Welcome Newcomers