Introducing baby Percy

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Introducing baby Percy

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:16 am

Morning everyone,
With one thing and another I have not been able to post for a couple of days.
I just wanted to share the birth story of baby Percy :)

Having seen the consultant on Thursday, who was concerned about increased cord resistance and increasingly poor growth on scans, we were advised to undergo urgent delivery, within 24 hours if possible. Concerns re previous section scar, and the fact that he was in a transverse lie on Thursday meant that this had to be by ELCS. There was a theatre slot that late that day, so I was admitted and prepped, however an emergency meant that I was put off until Friday. Come Friday, the SCBU unit had not cots available. There was discussion if transferring me, however there were no SCBU cots and theatre slots in the same place, and it was deemed safer to leave baby where was. Traces continued to be fine, although tightenings (which had been going on for a week if so) were becoming increasingly coordinated. I was allowed home to eat some tea before starving again from midnight, very welcome having been nil by mouth for 36 hours!
On Saturday, the unit was crazy busy when I got in, with several emergencies. There is normally no elective list at the weekend, however the consultants concerns meant that they were unhappy yo leave me, so I was admitted again. By about 2pm, I was told that I would probably be done that afternoon as there was full term ladies in the theatres who were unlikely to need my SCBU cot, and I was next. They started to prep me.
At this point my waters broke, and contractions became fiercer.
The consultant that day was happy (in fact very keen) to VBAC. I was 4cm, so he performed a scan to check presentation. Baby had been cephalic that morning, however he was now transverse again. The consultant was amazing; he was so keen to facilitate my hopes fir VBAC. He said he would have delivered vaginally either breech or cephalic, and would have attempted to turn if I hah had ANY lichor left (I was by now sat in a pool 2 inches deep), so back to CS plan. Baby trace still fine, but now in active labour with transverse lie, so increased urgency!
Due to previous section, and multiple returns to theatre afterwards, they anticipated adhesions to I gad an epidural as on top of the spinal in case top up required (it was!). Epidural caused nausea, vomiting and hypotension, and I had a, thankfully mild, reaction to the antibiotics they used. Whether due to cocktail of drugs to treat these things or the epidural if the surgery, I had a profound reaction during surgery, with my heart rate dropping to 27, so surgery had yo be stopped to allow thus yo be corrected. I was not really aware at this point, but Paul has since told me. Epidural top up required as feeling surgery and temp spiking. They were going yo have yo proceed to full GA, however thankfully able to deliver at this point. Baby's head had got stuck, and he took a while to get out, and I was bleeding, so no delayed clamping or immediate skin to skin allowed.
Baby weighed 2.390kg (5lb 4oz), so better than anticipated :)
The paeds were happy with him, so no need for SCBU.
He was far too sleepy and floppy to feed just then, but we tried with lots of skin to skin cuddles, and he took 3ml of my EBM from syringes.
They took a blood sugar that night which was right at the bottom of normal, and asked if they could top up with formula and re-check. I was keen to EBF, so asked to use the rest of my EBM (4ml). Post-feed BG was much lower at 1.6 :( I accepted the need girl formula top up, as after 3d mostly nil by mouth I had very little milk. Thus began routine of blood sugar, offering breast, syringing any EBF, the topping up from a cup with formula, put down and express for next feed. This was a 2 hourly cycle, so left very little time for anything else. At 3am today, a day and a half old, bloods deemed good enough to go to 3 hourly feeds and monitoring (hence time to post). His bloods remain good, and he us feeding well (takes 20ml top up, which is now up to 30 with 3 hourly feeds). If he asks fir food in between I try to BF, but he's been too exhausted.
He is very sleepy; I've only seen his eyes once, tiny, and very floppy. In addition he has a tiny mouth and large tongue, so is struggling to latch on properly (mouth too small for my little finder and nipple!). Hoping to get on top of my pain and vomiting / nausea today, and try to crack the BF, and when he does manage to latch on, he feeds really well :D
He had a cardiac echo last night, which was normal (v tiny hole, as expected at this gestation), and we will be seeing the cardiologist and neurologist today, but so far no problems identified. Yesterday's poonami means that bowel atresia not an issue either. :D :D. :D
He us gorgeous, perfect, and I am besotted, crazy in love
Image Image

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Introducing baby Percy

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:17 am

Saturday morning, last bumpImage pic

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:19 am

A few mor pics of my boys :D

Image Image Image

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:26 am

Congratulations!!!! He looks beautiful, birth stories always make me well up too! Enjoy your new gorgeous little man!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:26 am

He's gorgeous! Congratulations.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 am

Hes gorgeous, massive congratulations xxxx

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:35 am

Congratulations :wine: he is gorgeous :love:

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:37 am

Ah he's gorgeous and I love the name! :) xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:42 am

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Massive massive congratulations :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Welcome to the world little Percy!

Your birth sounds like it got pretty scary there for a bit :hug: I'm so thrilled for you that you are both OK and he is such a good size :yahoo:

He is so sweet :love: I hope he goes from strength to strength and you guys get home soon :hug:

Look forward to hearing his updates!

Next

Return to Labour and Birth