Chicken basics

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Chicken basics

Postby moonsunstars2 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:16 pm

:D

We have 3 Pekin Bantams (small chickens with fluffy feet :love: ) - 2 hens and another that turned out to be a cockeral! We get on average 2 eggs a day now. They are quite small (like Allie said 2 eggs = 1 normal size egg). They are in their run most of the time but do come out when we're around and in the garden. They don't take much time at all - fresh food and water daily, checking eggs which we do a couple of times a day. At bedtime they take themselves into the bed/nesting area so all we do is shut the door :) EDA and of course cleaning them out, which I find a big clean out takes about half hour max once a week - and a sweep through the run regularly :D

Like @Allie we use chip bark too - there on paving slabs in their run (because of their feathered feet it's best to avoid having them on mud as they get stuck up with mud) but we're doing an *chookplayarea* :giggle: for them which will have their run inside a small fenced area which is covered in chipbark. That way I can let them out safely and still go indoors and they get some free run around time :).

I'm loving having our chickens (and B loves them too) and getting our own fresh eggs - You'll be so pleased you got them :)
Last edited by moonsunstars2 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:21 pm

moonsunstars2 wrote::D

We have 3 Pekin Bantams (small chickens with fluffy feet :love: ) We get on average 2 eggs a day now. They are quite small (like Allie said 2 eggs = 1 normal size egg). They are in their run most of the time but do come out when we're around and in the garden. They don't take much time at all - fresh food and water daily, checking eggs which we do a couple of times a day. At bedtime they take themselves into the bed/nesting area so all we do is shut the door :)

I'm loving having our chickens (and B loves them too) and getting our own fresh eggs - You'll be so pleased you got them :)

I :love: pekin bantams, sooo cute :D

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:50 pm

OK, so we're considering chickens too :giggle: , but they'd probably be on grass and rotated around the garden so that no one part of the garden gets too ruined...would that work? (We'd be thinking of an eglu btw, so fairly portable)

We also have a dog run in our garden, from the landlords, but it's unused, we could probably remove the stones from that and put bark or something down instead.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Took photos of our run/coop progress a couple of days ago to post here but forgot. Must post later.

Thanks for all the tips. We were going to get ex-batts but I haven't heard great things about them & we have found a great farm that has someone selling their stock locally every week. They sell all over the country Mareth so worth looking at. www.freerangepoultry.ie @Geordie_Girl

Our chicken run looks like a dog run so I'm sure that would be perfect Mareth

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:OK, so we're considering chickens too :giggle: , but they'd probably be on grass and rotated around the garden so that no one part of the garden gets too ruined...would that work? (We'd be thinking of an eglu btw, so fairly portable)

We also have a dog run in our garden, from the landlords, but it's unused, we could probably remove the stones from that and put bark or something down instead.

In theory moving the run around should help but they wrecked our grass in a matter of days and it still hasn't grown back from last summer :-? . Since we moved them onto the patio with bark chippings down it's been much better and easier to keep clean.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks Nicola and Allie.

@monsterm are you rural or suburban? We're literally stuck in the middle of an estate, whilst I *think* we're fully within our rights to keep chooks, I worry that our neighbours will hate us :lol:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm just outside the town so rural. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the neighbours. As long as you aren't getting a cockerel, it's the same as having dogs or rabbits in my eyes

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Aside from somewhere for them to live, how much will it cost to get set up with 2 or 3 birds?
I know the birds themselves are anywhere between €5-€15 depending on breed, but what about food, bedding (if needed), books, etc? Do chickens need toys or whatever, to keep them happy? :lookround:
I know we also are supposed to get a licence/register the flock with the DoA, is there anything else we need to do?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Do you want organic feed or general layers pellets? The co-op sells layers pellets really cheap, think it was €12 for a big sack of their own brand. Connolly's Red Mills are a brand that do non-gm & organic. Some co-ops carry them but not all so they are harder to find. They also like kitchen scraps & are partial to porridge apparently.

Geordie_Girl wrote:I know we also are supposed to get a licence/register the flock with the DoA, is there anything else we need to do?

That's news to me :-? Went to get chickens yesterday & he's sold out after an hour

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop