hf1

Will chickens destroy my lawn?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Will chickens destroy my lawn?

Postby Mareth » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:00 am

I'm currently trying to draught up an email to my landlady, to check that it's ok for us to keep chickens.
I'm getting conflicting google results regarding lawn damage. We'd only have probably 3 birds, and have a reasonable sized back garden.

Will they wreck the lawn?

If they were kept on the lawn we'd be moving the run and house around every week or so, and they'd also free-range a bit, but not full time. If they are guaranteed to wreck the lawn if left on it, we'll adapt the dog run for them instead.

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Will chickens destroy my lawn?

Postby mamavan2 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I think they will.
I've had chickens (3) and most of the time they could run around the garden but we also had a run and there was no gras left, we didn't move the run.
I had large chickens
I really liked them but the rooster was very dominant, we were thinking about a sign: don't mind the dog, run if you see the rooster :giggle:
He has ataked male visitors and my husband (I read in a book that this breed was a good breed to start with :roll: )
And chikens just poo were they stand, not that I mind but it can be something you might want to know.
Oh and they like to take a sand bath in the sun, and might cause some holes.

sorry for the ramble,
We really liked them and a fresh egg every day!

good luck with your decision.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Our chickens (6 of them) are doing a fine job destroying the lawn, they arefree range though. During summer we will be making a run for them as the kids need a bit of chicken poop free grass to play on ;)

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Yes, I think they will destroy the lawn, but you could tell the landlady you will turf or seed the lawn when you vacate if necessary if she objects?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Yeah, we'll do that anyway I think. I think the solution (should she say yes) will be to keep them in the (large) dog run for most of the time, and let them free range when we're out in the garden with them.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:Yeah, we'll do that anyway I think. I think the solution (should she say yes) will be to keep them in the (large) dog run for most of the time, and let them free range when we're out in the garden with them.

That's what we do Mareth and for the time that they freerange they don't do too much damage. There is the odd bald patch but nothing major.

Return to The Chicken Coop