hf1

Chickens

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Chickens

Postby teganplus2 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Talk to me about chickens, I know a couple of ladies have them, what are the pros and cons etc.

We need to fox proof the garden before we consider it, what is the best way to do this and what would we need?

TIA

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Chickens

Postby sophie90 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Oooh, I'm going to stalk this post as I was wondering the same :) Would love to get some chickens and think the kids would love it!!
xx

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Sat May 05, 2012 5:31 pm

no Idea! I would love some chooks but DH says no!

@sophie90 I have just noticed that you are in Bradford We are in Dewsbury so not that far from you if you ever fancy a meet. x

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Yeah my Dh isn't entirely convinced either!! I will persuade him somehow! (i managed to persuade him into loving cloth nappies and wipes etc and into woolies, so reckon chickens would be easy peasy!) :giggle:

@g.murphy Ooh that would be lovely :)
xx

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat May 05, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm not sure of the pros or cons, we have decided not to have chickens for various reasons,the people we bought the house off had chickens, ducks and geese and the foxes had the lot over the summer we were buying the house, which put us off a bit, we still have the coop at the end of the garden.
Plus there is a small holding at the other end of the village that sells 6 eggs for 70p, so we buy from them instead. :D
Last edited by tracedw on Sat May 05, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:42 pm

I found this site :)
http://www.2chickensandahouse.co.uk/buy ... packs.html

They sell special starter packs or you can buy just chickens or just coops, We would have to get a gate for our back garden as currently there isn't one.
When me and my sister were little we had chickens :) I dont really remember very much about having them tho as I was only little!
x

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:46 pm

http://www.omlet.co.uk/
This site appearss to be for the trendy chicken keeper :giggle: and also sells bees and geese and bee houses!!
I'm going to have a look about at how to fox proof a garden, but I was thinking with the ready made coops etc would you still have to fox proof the garden, as the foxes surely wouldnt be able to get in? Maybe I'm just being a bit dumb?!
xx

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks ladies I'll have a read of those later! The fox thing does bother me as we do get them, even in the middle of the day, I need to sort the garden so they can't get in as I don't like the tiny's playing out there ATM as I worry about germs :(

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Yeah I suppose of you have them in your garden alot it's probably worth doing anyway :) Especially for the little ones! Dh has informed me that as much as he would love to have chickens we will have to fox proof the garden as when he has been out to smoke (YACK) he has seen them round here and chickens would just bring them straight to us. He has said if I can find a cheap and relatively easy way to fox proof our garden and get a gate up then we can have chickens! YAY! :yahoo:
xx

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop