Worming chickens

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Worming chickens

Postby beck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:14 am

Our chickens are now 5-6.5 months old now and have just started laying! So far we've got 6 eggs from them :) however I'm unsure of worming them. They free range during the day and get locked up at night. They share the back yard with our 2 dogs and we also get Doves in our yard all time.
How and when do others worm their chickens? The only wormer at our local pet shop says they need to be 3 kgs but they are no where near that yet.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Worming chickens

Postby laceybat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 am

to be onist i would try and get the wormer fro a vet not the pet shop as they are normaly not very good. and when you worm them it's for 6 day and you can't eat the eggs for 2 weeks as itaffect the eggs

i wormed my every 6 months

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 am

Not licensed for poultry but most vets will give you panacur, its a liquid or paste so the dose is easily adjusted for smaller birds. You should be given 2 doses to be given 7 days apart after which you need to leave 7 days before you eat the eggs so as laceybat said you can't eat eggs for 2 weeks in total.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:56 am

So can we eat the eggs we've gotten so far?

My avatar
Ajcwil
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Ajcwil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 am

Try and get hold of flubenvet from a vets or poss online. They make a backyard poultry wormer which you mix into their feed. Use a bit if cod liver oil to help it stick to the pellets.
You should worm twice a year I do mine August and January. They tend to moult around now so good to get them worm free going into winter.
Worming them is important as so many problems can be prevented and flubenvet has no egg withdrawal period so safe to eat the eggs.
Hope this helps
X

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:02 pm

We're in australia so going into summer now. But that doesn't really matter does it?

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 pm

you can eat the eggs you have so far just not when your worming so stop eatting them the first day you worm them and then not to eat them till 2 weeks is up.

My avatar
Ajcwil
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Ajcwil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:08 pm

No.
still stick to twice a year worming. You have to feed them the medicated feed for 7 days and nothing else so you may need to keep them in their run so they don't scavenge too much. Always feel a bit guilty doing this but at least I know they are getting the right dose. The idea is they self dose by how much they eat ie a bantam won't eat as much as a full size girl.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:02 am

Thank you you've been so helpful :)

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop