First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:05 pm

So I'm still being an anxious chicken mama about the cold (lets face it if I believed what I'd read on the net they would be miserable and huddled in a corner or dead :roll: not happily scratching around / eating / drinking / playing / excited to see us etc)- tonight is only going to drop to 7 so similar to last night and they were find this morning but the following night down to 1 :evil: so I have added extra shavings to the area where they sleep and just made some curtains (out of an old onsie of Louis' :giggle: - I used the legs so they are double layer stretch cotton :giggle: ) to close off the area more from drafts so hoping that will be enough for them :love:

Louis also made a chick playgym for them with branches to practice their climbing / roosting etc :giggle: :love: and J has made a waterbottle holder for the waterbottle he converted to a nipple waterer. I taught them to use it in about 3 minutes flat - clever little chookies :widesmile: so it means I have got rid of the big waterer which has given them lots more space for play! Also gave them some grass / weeds etc and some chopped up fruit too which they seemed to love.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Oh they are so naughty - like toddlers! I just went out to hang the curtains I made and they'd knocked over their food dish (I'd sat it up on some wood to try to keep them from kicking wood shavings in it!), obviously been having fun with their water dispenser as it is 1/2 empty and lots of water on the floor and shavings piled high with bare plastic else where :hohoho: :hohoho: Also Clementine has been flying tentatively up onto the edge when I've been taking off the lid as has Matilda usually after at least 5 minutes but she is obviously all excited about her new skill and flew straight up when I opened it :giggle: Matilda then followed!

Curtains all hung - hope they help them stay warm :freezing: already down to about 6 or 7 out there.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Aeseldyr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 am

How cute :love:

The chicks we had when I was a kid lived in an old trainwagon - not much isolation and my guess is that it gets colder here than where you live :giggle:
I can ask my vet dad for advice later if you would like? He has given some good ones for our outside bunnies and there hut in the winter :thumbsup: @clothmama

And just a general advice is that old newspapers make and excellent isolationform - used to put inside the old hut for thw bunnies in the winter and we sometimes get under minus 10 celsius :freezing:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:26 am

Aeseldyr wrote:my guess is that it gets colder here than where you live :giggle:

Yep I'm sure - although last winter we had about 10 days down to -12 every night :freezing: :giggle:
Aeseldyr wrote:I can ask my vet dad for advice later if you would like?

If he could set my mind at ease and make me stop looking on the internet and freaking myself out :panic: that would be lovely :hohoho: @Aeseldyr It was 6 degrees in the barn just now when I went in to turn the light on and wake them up. When I went in to put them to bed last night they were asleep just on the middle of the main area (the curtains had probably confused them) so I lifted them in and they stayed in thier little area although cheeped for a while and were still there this morning (and all OK) Clementine and Matilda are only 4.5 weeks and Mabel is 6 weeks so it is more the little ones I'm worried about but Mabel seems to cover them a bit with her wings so I'm guessing that they know what they are doing to keep themselves alive! There is about 8 cm of wood shavings under them and I have sat a thick peice on insulation on the roof as well. To be honest I only need to get them through tonight which is due to drop to 1 degree (3 last night) and then by the look of the forecast the next couple of weeks are due to be very mild so if they have managed these couple of nights they will be fine!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:10 am

I'm the same with my rabbits tory. One of the sections of the hutch I fill completely with hay so they can snuggle in then every night I fluff it back up again coz they squish it down in the day. Have you got hay?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:53 am

littlesez wrote:I'm the same with my rabbits tory. One of the sections of the hutch I fill completely with hay so they can snuggle in then every night I fluff it back up again coz they squish it down in the day. Have you got hay?

I have but I think the wood shavings seem warmer. I might try adding even more tonight and J is going to block up some of the gaps in the room as well.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:14 am

So a couple of updates - I got pretty worried on Christmas eve as it got really cold in the early evening and I was terrified of having dead chicks on Christmas morning so I moved them into my laundry / freezer room (and turned the dryer on to give the room a little boost :giggle: ). I'm enjoying going out to them more as well as they I dont' need to change into boots / crocs before I go out as it is along the brick terrace!

Also I heard back from the guy I bought them off and he gave me thier DOBs and they are older than what I had in my head.
Mabel is 02/11/17 which means she'll be 8 weeks on Thursday (and only a day off 7 when I picked her up)
Clementine and Matilda 15/11/17 so they'll be 6 weeks tomorrow so were 4+5 when I picked them up (which I guess is close enough to 4 1/2 weeks :giggle: ). So I kind of feel better about the cold thing as they are pretty much a week further on than I thought :giggle:

Previous

Return to The Chicken Coop