hf1

First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: First chickens coming home tomorrow!

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Be still my beating heart - I love them already :love:

The man was a bit odd (kind of unwashed and odd :lookround: ) but obviously loved his chickens as he wanted to make sure I'd got little feed for them and wasnt' going to give them feed with whole bits of corn in it :giggle: He took the box inside (I think he had them in the house) and go them so I didn't get to choose but the only thing I was wanting was a clean looking Sussex with only black dots around her neck and I got that :widesmile: They cheeped all the way home on and off and when I stopped to get C I checked on them and I think the bigger one was pecking the little ones a bit but not too bad. First peek of them:
Image
When I got home I put the new shavings bedding in the little coop and the water and food:
Image
Rémy was beside himself with joy and talking to them and trying to peep :giggle: while I was sorting it out (although he did help too):
Image
I then cut a hole in the box to let them come out when they were feeling OK and not scared and put the whole thing inside the coop. Mabel (the bigger Sussex - 6 weeks) was brave and came out first :love: She is very cute and still slightly yellow tinged:
Image
Image
The harco scrap that I just zoomed in and it is the red was next to start peeping out:
Image
At that stage I left them for 1/2 hour or so to calm down and not have a bouncing preschooler. When I came back they were all out and happily eating and drinking :widesmile: which from what I have read is the most important thing if they are not too stressed etc. :widesmile:
There are a couple of things that are stressing me out a bit is that their water is all messy already so J has quickly made me a nipple waterer but they won't know how to use that so need to somehow get it up off the floor :panic: am going to go and take it off them now actually while I work something out just thought it could choke them.
Image
The other thing is that they are pecking and scratching everywhere and pecking at the plastic base - is this normal or do I have weird chickens already :loopy: :loopy: :giggle: ?
Image
The last couple of pics were taken another 1/2 hour or so later when I took Louis in when he came home, I picked up dear little Clementine first and she was so sweet, didn't mind at all :love: then I picked up Mabel (crazy the difference a week or so makes to thier weight!) and she was fine about it too but maybe a bit more bolshy but the little harco was a bit scared and panicked a bit. So interesting as that is exactly how the coming out of the box went as well - I wonder if thier personalities are coming out already? I'm going to keep picking them up every day to get them used to it so they are lovely and tame for us.

Gutted I didnt' do this 2 years ago when I first started talking about it :love:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 pm

So names - I had kind of thought Mabel for the Sussex and it so suited her I thought straight away so gone with that :widesmile: and Clementine for the red but no idea what to call the Harco yet. Ideas on a postcard please! Louis said Plum and I immediately thought Nanny Plum but then felt that didn't suit as she seems a bit shy :giggle:

I ended up buying a new feeder as the one I had was for big girls and the man at the shop said they would turn it into a disaster really quickly :giggle: with feed everywhere and poo in the food. This was what my gear looked like before I went to to town:
Image

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:52 am

Congrats on the chicks Tory @clothmama they are so cute :love:
If they eat and drink they are going to be fine - general rule for all animals :giggle: (said the vets daugther)
The pecking is what chicks do so I would be worried if they did not :hohoho:
We had chicks when I was a kid ans they pecked at everything - one of then always came running and started pecking at my shoes :loopy:

Your gonna be fine as a chick-mom :hug:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:06 am

Agree. One of mine always pecks my toe nails! They love scratching it's why they make such a mess of gardens!
How about Posie for the last?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:15 am

So they survived the night :yahoo: :yahoo: honestly after reading all the temp things I was worried :oops: and really tossed up over putting a hot water bottle in but then worried that would make it worse when it cooled off! All the backyard chicken forum / blog type things say all about the levels to keep the heater. However the French tend to be a lot more pragmatic about animals and I think their attitude is if they have their feathers and over a month they are fine without heat (although of course we don't get the very cold temps they do in the states). It seems like it is big changes that are the biggest issue (ie if they had been under heat then I put them out without) and getting wet which is why the only reason I decided to get them was because we realised we have heaps of barns we can use (and there is no sub zero nights due for the next couple of weeks) :hohoho: . It was 8 degrees when I went in this morning so not warm but well above freezing.

I'm going to find out about some boredom busters for them and work out a way to make their sleeping bit warmer for tonight so I'm not as worried about them, am thinking a wool hen type thing if I can work it out!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:33 am

Aeseldyr wrote:If they eat and drink they are going to be fine - general rule for all animals :giggle: (said the vets daugther)

Very sensible advice @Aeseldyr :thumbsup:

Aeseldyr wrote:The pecking is what chicks do so I would be worried if they did not :hohoho:

That is good then, I feel like I need to give them something to peck! I also realised after looking at the pics from the ad they were kept on concrete (Mabel) and still in the brooder (Clementine and no name) so have no experiance with soft wood chips :giggle: so they are probably really enjoying them!

autumnalgirl wrote:Agree. One of mine always pecks my toe nails! They love scratching it's why they make such a mess of gardens!
How about Posie for the last?

Depends which way you look at it - mess or doing your work for you @autumnalgirl :giggle: I'm hoping to have systems where they can go and dig over garden beds while fertalising for me á lá permaculture!
Mmmmm Posie Ok but not it for her I dont' think (Posie again feels like a light coloured chickens name - I'm such a fusspot :hohoho: :hohoho: )

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:12 am

clothmama wrote:
Aeseldyr wrote:If they eat and drink they are going to be fine - general rule for all animals :giggle: (said the vets daugther)

Very sensible advice @Aeseldyr :thumbsup:

Aeseldyr wrote:The pecking is what chicks do so I would be worried if they did not :hohoho:

That is good then, I feel like I need to give them something to peck! I also realised after looking at the pics from the ad they were kept on concrete (Mabel) and still in the brooder (Clementine and no name) so have no experiance with soft wood chips :giggle: so they are probably really enjoying them!

autumnalgirl wrote:Agree. One of mine always pecks my toe nails! They love scratching it's why they make such a mess of gardens!
How about Posie for the last?

Depends which way you look at it - mess or doing your work for you @autumnalgirl :giggle: I'm hoping to have systems where they can go and dig over garden beds while fertalising for me á lá permaculture!
Mmmmm Posie Ok but not it for her I dont' think (Posie again feels like a light coloured chickens name - I'm such a fusspot :hohoho: :hohoho: )


Ha ha! That is my kind of fussiness! Florentina? Vaguely goes with clementine! Ethel?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:08 pm

OK so we now have 3 names :yahoo: :yahoo: Mabel, Clementine and Matilda :love:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: First chickens home! Pics pg 2 :)

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 pm

clothmama wrote:OK so we now have 3 names :yahoo: :yahoo: Mabel, Clementine and Matilda :love:


Good names :D

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop