Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Help chooky mamas I'm a bit worried about Mabel, I noticed she is sitting down a lot even when I put them outside in thier play pen she usually runs around pecking at the ground and she didn't much - she did do a bit of pecking but still sitting down. I noticed her crop seemed empty (mid afternoon at this point). I made them some yoghurt and oats which they love and ususally go at madly until it is all gone and she did get excited and stood up to eat some but then sat down again before it was all gone. when I put them bed in thier coop her crop felt maybe half full. I didn't notice her drinking anything. I gave her a head to toe inspection to see if I could see anything and couldn't see anything weird that I could say except that her bum was sort of squeezing ope3n and closed a bit as if she was maybe trying to poo. It is so hard as it is the first time I've done a really good look at one of them - properly under her wings, legs, feet etc so I'm not very used to what 'normal' is. I'm kind of half expecting to find her dead in the morning as I keep reading how they will be quiet in the evening and dead in the morning. The only thing I thought was that maybe she was cold as it was a bit cooler than it has been (10 instead of 15 out) but I think that is clutching at straws!

Any ideas? Anything I should do? I thought I'd add some ACV to their water in the morning as I bought some the other day for them as it is meant to be a really good preventative / booster.

@Allie @autumnalgirl @Aeseldyr :panic: I did take a photo of her but my phone has gone for a drive with dh so will have to wait until he is back to upload it :giggle:

ETA photo

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Oh and darling little Clementine snuggled up with her a few times but i think that was her being sweet rather than anything else (I hope :cry: )

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:35 pm

I don't know, sorry. Doesn't sound like a crop issue if it was empty to start with. Have they got combs yet? Lost track of how old they are. We tend to bring them in the kitchen with us if we're worried about them. Open topped box or basket with whatever they need.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:36 pm

It's really difficult to say @clothmama but if possible I would be tempted to separate her from the others and bring her indoors overnight to start with and see how she is tomorrow. I've used a pet carrier before. I hope she perks up >:D<

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:06 pm

So here is the photo:
Mabel is the white one - she is 10 weeks on Thursday. Clementine is 8 weeks tomorrow. I'm just questioning myself if Clem' was being funny too as she doesn't normally sit down either. At one point one of them (can't remember which) had thier eyes closed - do they nap?? Thinking on it I think Matilda was the only one running around being normal :cry: maybe I should separate her!??
I didnt' turn the light on this afternoon after they went back inside so they are already in bed - should I go and wake them and see what is going on? Leave them to sleep and hope they are better in the morning?
Move them into the warmer behind the curtains sleeping area (they were in the main area when I looked)?
Take just Mabel out or her and Clem' or leave them and take Matilda out???
She is still getting new feathers in and some of them looked like they might be painful - could it be that?
I dont' know what to do for the best, I'll be so sad if they die :cry:

@Allie @autumnalgirl

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 pm

So I just went out with my head torch to check and see what was going on and they had put themselves to bed in the front bit of the little area and Mabel seemed fine, alert and woke up to being disturbed and didn't seem odd at all so I think I'm maybe just being paranoid. I did move them into the bit behind the curtain. I'll check on them firs thing in the morning but I think I'll leave them tonight - she seemed better than earlier so maybe was just a bit of cold or something. I hope I don't regret my decision not to bring her inside!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:41 am

Have you made sure she does poo? @clothmama

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:09 am

Aeseldyr wrote:Have you made sure she does poo? @clothmama

I wasn't sure but have just been out to check as soon as I got up and I woke them up, she was alert and moving normally and the area she was in over night had poo :yahoo: I then picked her up and she was moving much more than yesterday :thumbsup: , crop was empty :thumbsup: and then she pooped when I put her down :thumbsup:

She was definitely a bit off yesterday and no idea why. I have read about them being in pain when they get their new feathers after a molt so wonder if they get discomfort with their first feathers? Anyway :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: whatever it was has passed and she will be OK! Will be adding the ACV to the water today and see how that goes down!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 am

Hurrah!!! Glad she's ok! Ours have ACV. They also have something else. I'll look later and see what it is.

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop