Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Mabel is sitting down a lot :(

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 am

clothmama wrote:
autumnalgirl wrote:Hurrah!!! Glad she's ok! Ours have ACV. They also have something else. I'll look later and see what it is.

That would be great Christi thanks @autumnalgirl :thumbsup: How much of the ACV do you use? I've read hugely varying amounts to put in which is why I've not yet done it! Also been reading on backyardchickens about sudden chicken death :panic: apparently they can just literally drop dead :shock: :shock: :shock: I didn't read about that before I started this chicken journey :giggle: :giggle: Anything to help that not happen is good!

DH says he follows (approximately) on the back of the bottle. The other stuff is some spice stuff we bought at our local suppliers which we mix in sparingly as it's quite strong.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:11 am

clothmama wrote:
autumnalgirl wrote:Does she spread her wings out when she sits down?

Not not really although sometimes she does sort of open them but briefly, she isn't sitting there with them spread out if that makes sense @autumnalgirl

Just been to check this morning and she is still sitting down :-? :( but pecking and her eyes look bright. I wonder if I should try to get my hands on some vitamins or something????

:( not sure. Chickens are really hard to diagnose. Her eating is a good sign though. Have you treated them for red mite?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 am

Aeseldyr wrote:I can't remember what it was :apology: he said but you should always make sure that no one with poultry comes near your chicks

Eeek OK - my neighbour looked at them but didn't touch them the other day!
autumnalgirl wrote:DH says he follows (approximately) on the back of the bottle. The other stuff is some spice stuff we bought at our local suppliers which we mix in sparingly as it's quite strong.

Mine is just normal ACV so no chicken instructions on it :giggle: (it is all the same stuff!). LOL at your other description - search engines aren't going to like me typing in that :hohoho: :hohoho: @autumnalgirl

autumnalgirl wrote:Have you treated them for red mite?

Errrr no - wouldn't I be able to see if they have that when I checked her?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 am

clothmama wrote:
Aeseldyr wrote:I can't remember what it was :apology: he said but you should always make sure that no one with poultry comes near your chicks

Eeek OK - my neighbour looked at them but didn't touch them the other day!
autumnalgirl wrote:DH says he follows (approximately) on the back of the bottle. The other stuff is some spice stuff we bought at our local suppliers which we mix in sparingly as it's quite strong.

Mine is just normal ACV so no chicken instructions on it :giggle: (it is all the same stuff!). LOL at your other description - search engines aren't going to like me typing in that :hohoho: :hohoho: @autumnalgirl

autumnalgirl wrote:Have you treated them for red mite?

Errrr no - wouldn't I be able to see if they have that when I checked her?

I'll take some pics next time I go into the shed!

Probably not. Some of them are a bit suceptable to red mite, one of ours died from it and the others were all fine. She was sitting down a lot too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 am

So I had another good look under her wings and everything and no sign of red mite (not that I really know what I'm looking for :giggle: ). She seemed perkier yesterday and was up and about all morning and loved being outside most of the day. She did sit down a bit in the afternoon but as J said surely chickens like a little rest sometimes too :giggle:

This was her yesterday in the outdoor run:
Image Image
I've just been out this morning and she is up and perky looking so I'm tentatively letting out a sigh of relief!

Foggy and very cold and damp this morning so I haven't let them out yet but if it cheers up I will as I'm sure that is better for them!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 am

They look lovely and very happy! Chicken owning is tricky!!!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 am

They look like happy little chicks :yahoo: Congrats you survived the first days as a chicken-mom :hug:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: she's doing it again this morning - but even worse - she seems to be putting her wings out to balance herself :-? and when I was checking her over for anything obvious her foot was kind of fisted up instead of being splayed out like normal. :-? :-? No idea what is wrong with her - her face is fine - eyes etc

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am

clothmama wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: she's doing it again this morning - but even worse - she seems to be putting her wings out to balance herself :-? and when I was checking her over for anything obvious her foot was kind of fisted up instead of being splayed out like normal. :-? :-? No idea what is wrong with her - her face is fine - eyes etc

Hard to tell :hug: @clothmama maybe a bit much for a chick but I would call the vet

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Coop