What do you feed your chickens?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

What do you feed your chickens?

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Leading on from Christi's post about the spice mix she adds to her feed I was wondering what you feed your chickens?

I'm currently giving mine a chick mix of cracked mixed grains and things - looks like split peas, barley or something like that (possibly a couple of grains) , corn etc (can't check exactly as the bag has gone out) but quite small. Not sure when I can start using big girl food. I would also like to look into sprouting grains and fermenting them and making my own mixes too.

I give them treats about once a day - fruit or oats with some bifidus yoghurt. Today they got worms that I found when I dug the holes for my lavender plants :giggle:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: What do you feed your chickens?

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Ours have layers pellets with grit and spice mixed through. They get leftovers too; crusts, pasta, grapes, apple cores, cooked peelings... They get the odd treat of corn too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:50 am

Its funny I dont' think I've seen pellets for sale here, only whole grain mixes! I'll have a better look next time I go! I bought the bag I've got ages ago when I was going to get the silkies off my friend so didn't even have chickens yet.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 am

Layers pellets are probably the cheats way to feed them, but does the job!

Return to The Chicken Coop