DIY PVC Chicken Feeder!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

DIY PVC Chicken Feeder!

Postby clothmama » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 am

After much searching on BackyardChickens forum and various blogs I knew I wanted to make my coop / run as rodent proof (rats and mice terrify me :oops: ) as possible and to make all the chores as automated as possible so my first thing I wanted to do was to make a PVC chicken feeder. I got all the bits ages ago (pre actually having the chickens!) and we got them out on Monday to put them together. I was all excited when J pointed out that the food would be on the floor / damp :drama: and he was worried that the very bottom bit wouldn't get eaten and go bad too so we had to come up with a solution. We couldn't just add a cap as the bottom part was a male not a female. Eventually we had a look around the barn for something to help us out and came up with a pretty pink Vanish lid that could be glued just under the bit they eat from and keep the food well of the floor :yahoo: hot glue gun and job done!

Rémy checking it out!
All put together:
And installed with the help of 2 bungees - the chickens seem to like it!
I'm actually going to put it on a brick to get it a bit higher as they are still managing to flick food on the floor and apparently if you put it at back height they can't do that!

I had a 10kg bag of feed that I'd already been using and there is still some in there so I'm guessing that it takes about 5kg of food - for my 3 that is probably weeks of food so all I need to do each day is take the cap on and off for them - sealed and rodent proof for the night :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Return to The Chicken Coop