The big day!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

The big day!

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 am

So after months waiting for this day yesterday we got our first egg :yahoo: :yahoo: I'm presuming it was from Mabel as she is the eldest - it was little and a little mottled in colour (both pretty normal from newly laying pullets). They had obviously been playing with it as it was on the floor by the gate (I had all sorts of trouble getting in!) :giggle: I opened it straight away as they had put a little crack in it - just glad they didn't manage to open it - I so dont' want egg eating chickens!

Josh got it for his lunch - a bacon bits and egg sandwich made with this egg and one of the silkies - look at the amazing colour (we have to mix his eggs as he doesn't like the whites on their own :giggle: )

Very exciting!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: The big day!

Postby confusinglady » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:07 am

Oh wow! How exciting :thumbsup:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:44 am

I think the first eggs are the most exciting, but I love going down to collect the eggs! Such a different colour to shop bought eggs.

We occasionally find eggs in odd places too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm really doubting myself now - did I leave one of the silkie eggs in the big girls run and forget to pick it up as I was putting them to bed then left it there and they just found it and played with it the next morning???? As this is what I had from (I'm guessing) Mabel today - a whopping 68 grams :yahoo: :yahoo: !!!! Shown next to todays Silkie egg:
J thought it was better with the big egg at teh front and I thought at the back :giggle:
Image Image

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Freaky alien egg alert! This is what they must mean by first eggs beign freaky - this is what I got today:
Perfect on one side other than a small lumpy bit on the shell:
Discoloured end:
Weird crater on one side :shock:
Image Image
Strange crunkles on the other end:
Needless to say I wont' be eating this one!

And was massively upset to find a broken and eaten egg in the run :evil: :evil: :cry: apparetnly a total nightmare to stop them doing - I'm going to have to go down there so regularly to try to stop this happening :evil:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:29 pm

So the big egg turned out to be a double yoker and I've had quite a few since too! :widesmile:
This is todays haul - I've been getting 4 eggs most days and the 3 girls eggs are slowly getting bigger after 2-3 weeks of laying - and also a bit easier to tell apart so if I can work out who is laying them I can work out who's is who's in the future! Looks like another double yoker today too :yahoo: And it was definately Mabel as the other 2 laid in the coop before they were let out.

Return to The Chicken Coop