Broody fluffball - 4 chicks pics pg 3!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Broody fluffball - 4 chicks pics pg 3!

Postby clothmama » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 am

I thought I'd start a chick thread! Here is Hermione all tucked up on her (well not hers but she doesn't care!) eggs:
She is sitting on 5 aracuanas, an Australorp, an Orpington, a Bresse, and a surprise :widesmile:
Today is day 5 - apparently the aracuanas (blue eggs) will hatch at day 20 and the others probably the next day so 2nd and 3rd of May :yahoo: :yahoo: just keeping my fingers crossed that we get a good % that make it and also that I get a good % of girls :-?

I'll try to get a pic of the pretty eggs later if I catch her up have a food / water / poo break :giggle: I forgot before I put them in with her.

I need to candle them (look in with a strong torch) to see they are developing as apparently they can explode if they are not working :puke: :giggle: but I'm not sure exactly when to do it - I've been told day 5 (today) and day 10! Need to do some more research!

I'll keep you updated with hopefully some adorable new chick pics in a couple of weeks :widesmile: :yahoo:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Broody fluffball - chicks on the way we hope!

Postby clothmama » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 am

Quick update - now on day 12 and all going well. I tried candeling on day 10 at dusk under a blanket :hohoho: not sure how well that worked but I saw enough on the 4 not blue ones to see there was no blood line (sign they have died) and a shadow (hopefully a chick!). On the blue ones I could see nothing so I just put them all back under her and will just have to trust to nature! I now am trying to find out what I need to do to her run area and the little coop to make it chick proof!!!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:21 am

How exciting Tory :yahoo: in 4-5 days you might have little chicks

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am

OMG OMG we have 1 chick so far! :yahoo: :yahoo: :love: :yahoo: :yahoo: :love: I think it may be an Aracuana but not sure.
I was hanging out down there this morning, cleaning out the big coop etc and keeping a close eye on Hermione when I saw a tiny head poke out from under her:
:love: :love: Image
Then it wiggled out:
Image Image Image
and around the side of mum:
Image Image Image Image Image
I then ran up to the house to tell Louis and J that it had come out and when they went down they couldn't see it at all so I'm guessing mum tucked it back in under her to keep it safe :love: :love: :love:
Will update as more get born / come out (not sure how it works in terms of them staying tucked under mummy!).

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Broody fluffball - chicks started arriving!

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu May 03, 2018 11:27 am

Wow! Congratulations!!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu May 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Just been down and little cute head poking out the other end - same chick or another? Hard to tell!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu May 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Just put a pic from the first lot next to it - I think it is the same chick - shape of stripes the same!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:37 pm

OMG, they are so cute! Well done hanging in there. I feel like we've been waiting for another cloth baby to arrive...

Now I'm thinking of teeny tiny chick nappies.... :giggle: :loopy:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Thu May 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Wow, so cute, congratulations :yahoo: :yahoo: . Looking forward to more updates :love:

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop