hf1

New chickens.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

New chickens.

Postby ems » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Well, over the winter I lost two older chickens, and yesterday I had to put my ex bat down after advice from a few friends and the vet. So I was left with 1 black silkie, who although is cute, she is a not a layer. She is a "brooder"! She lays but twice a year, with a song so loud, like it's always the first time! As you can see from the photos .. she wont even come out to play with the newest of the flock, not even for a handful of corn to try and get them all in one place for the camera. She has no hard feelings about them and quite happily barged her way over to the gate to meet them.. then ran straight back to the coop to claim her place in her beloved nest box ;)

Anyway, we have a Light Sussex, the white one. A Barred Rock, the black and white speckled one, and a Blue Haze, which is the dark all over one ;)

And here is the Black Silkie by herself, I couldn't get her to look at the camera, probably because Maisy was trying to see what she had had for lunch :giggle:

Edit: Forgot to say, I even had to buy some eggs from the lady.. I've not bought eggs since we first had chickens, and we have about three weeks before these three will mature and lay some eggs for us. The crests are still not formed properly, and there is not much of a tinge of red on them yet either LOL So As a treat I bought a dozen duck eggs ;) I might think about getting ducks next!!! LOL
Last edited by ems on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: New chickens.

Postby monsterm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Awwww!! Lovely chooks

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Lovely! I'm so jealous!

Trying to connivence my husband chickens are a great idea! :giggle:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm

they look lovely

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 pm

aw, I'd love to keep chickens but we worry we'd forget to shut them in/let them out.

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Gorgeous chickens.... Funny, I was just thinking about getting some more chickens today. A fox took our beloved cream legbar (blue eggs :wink: ) last week, so we are down to 6 now - one disappeared a few months ago too.... So we have 3 'posh' birds and 3 ex-batts at the moment. I was thinking that I'd love to get another cream legbar and maybe another appenzeller as I love them...

We've been lucky actually, the fox has taken 40 :shock: of my neighbours 100 or so rare breed chickens... plus 5 of another neighbour... She's had cubs... but the farmer found her nest the other day and er.... dealt with them :( Apparently the area was surrounded with dead chickens. :(

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:54 pm

ahh lovely

2 of our orpingtons are sitting on eggs at the moment so we may be over run with chicks soon if they keep it up
:-? :-?

i had to buy eggs for the first time last week as they are sitting on them all!!

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Eeeeek! 40 rare breeds gone!!!!! I wanted a couple of orpingtons.. a buff and a chocolate but couldn't find anyone that had any.. so these three bar the rhode's and black rocks etc were my best bet LOL When the rabbit goes, I will get more chooks.. as I can take up the land he's on for a bigger coop, or just chuck them all in his play house. But he's only 5 so he's got a while yet ;) LOL Bless him awwww appenzellers look lovely too! Blinkin foxes ;) The ex bats chooks liver was a bit orange and spotty, she had quite a bit of blood in her intestines... so I'm glad I put her down now, she wasn't right at all :( Craig is walking Maisy, he cant stand biology lessons, bless him, he couldn't be around when I put her down.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:00 pm

charliesam wrote:ahh lovely

2 of our orpingtons are sitting on eggs at the moment so we may be over run with chicks soon if they keep it up
:-? :-?

i had to buy eggs for the first time last week as they are sitting on them all!!

LOL it's mad paying for eggs isn't it!!! OOooo more Orpingtons!

Next

Return to The Chicken Coop