Postby Woozle35 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:22 pm

I hope they settle down tomorrow.

My avatar
Popster
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Very Excited!

Postby Popster » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:18 pm

To be honest, I've never come across hens who don't scrap it out to establish a pecking order. My ex-batts even scrapped it out between themselves when they first arrived with us, and woe betide any other hens we've introduced since :giggle: Don't worry though, they will settle down soon enough.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Popster wrote:To be honest, I've never come across hens who don't scrap it out to establish a pecking order. My ex-batts even scrapped it out between themselves when they first arrived with us, and woe betide any other hens we've introduced since :giggle: Don't worry though, they will settle down soon enough.

That's good to hear, dh has built a separate run for the ex-batts for now which is butted up to the other one so they can all see each other but they are all less stressed. They will all have to share the coop tonight though :-?

My avatar
shyler76
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shyler76 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:51 pm

:love: your chickens! Also :love: their names! Hope they stop fighting soon and enjoy their lovely new lives!

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Aww lovely hens! We had ex battery hens at our old house and they were great layers plus highly amusing pets! They would follow me round the garden all the time in a line!

Ours were called Tikka, Korma, Madras and Daisy. Cam named the last one :giggle:

My avatar
Popster
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Popster » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:20 pm

Allie wrote:
Popster wrote:To be honest, I've never come across hens who don't scrap it out to establish a pecking order. My ex-batts even scrapped it out between themselves when they first arrived with us, and woe betide any other hens we've introduced since :giggle: Don't worry though, they will settle down soon enough.

That's good to hear, dh has built a separate run for the ex-batts for now which is butted up to the other one so they can all see each other but they are all less stressed. They will all have to share the coop tonight though :-?

NAK :bf:

Fingers crossed they take that well! Once it's dark they should settle down nicely. If any get very pecked, especially around their comb- put vaseline on the comb and the others won't be able to get a grip with their beaks. If there is one very bossy hen, separate her out from the others and only reintroduce her to the flock when the main flock has established it's order. She'll be the outsider then and won't be quite so aggressive- she might even get pecked! (well, that's the theory)

My ex-batts were/are called Marjorie :wink: , Joyce, Lady Penelope, Dolly, Vi and Beattie. We also have another hen called Miranda :roll: :lol:

Previous

Return to The Chicken Coop