hf1

Why do we have to pay so much more for nappies?

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Why do we have to pay so much more for nappies?

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:30 am

i know someone said the wool is expensive, but being a bit of a cheapskate i hate paying loads for stuff. the soakers i bought, just 3 quid each :shock: i can't make them for that price, let alone send them overseas. with the nappies i love the uk stuff as i find the whams often very talented in there work, my top 5 in no particular order, would be upsy daisy, hollow oak, flutterby fluff (i wish these were labelled though, hanna, u need some multi coloured labels methinks :giggle: )
puddlekins and weenotions. i think they def rival many of the us whams, thing is i like to have some cheaper nappies too so in case of illness or going away i don't lose or wreck my yummy fluff. still mourning the loss of my ff batman nappy from my last trip away :cry: i still endlessly search for it but it has to be gone now, it's been months since i seen it :cry:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:39 am

clothmama wrote:No offense to all those that do order regularly from the States but have you considered asking UK wahms if they can do something similar if it is stuff that isn't available in the UK?

It is available in the UK, just not as easy to get hold of sometimes. I order from Bonnie because most of the UK WAHMS that do dyed BV rarely have slots or are available to make nappies. HO, JR and Puddlekins are closed to customs atm and Flutterby Fluff won't have any slots until next year. It is so much easier to just pop an order on Bonnie's database and know you'll only be waiting 2-3 weeks. Also, there are a lot more instock nappies/clothes/woollies on HC and Etsy - most (if not all) of the UK WAHMs work are custom orders.

My avatar
mamavic
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mamavic » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:43 am

I've got no problem with the WAHM and UK produced stuff being more expensive, it's more on the mass produced items like MEOS or BGs where your paying more for the same item made in the same factory.
Can totally sympathise with the Aussies on here too- we spent two years living in Sydney (pre-baby so can only talk about things in general and not nappies), and actually found that a lot of products are way more expensive than in UK. Internet shopping is not as widespread either, so it's harder to shop around. Part of the reason we came back, apart from to be closer to family, was that we didn't think we could afford to have a baby over there with the cost of Sydney property, medical expenses, no maternity pay or child benefit etc

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:03 am

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:i am starting toprefer to buy nappies from hyena cart and etsy right now, my recent bulk order of 8 nappies, inc the free newborn one was about £50 delivered, i'd never get them that price here, plus the hc purchase (which came this morning!yay) of 3 crochet soakers, and 2 free pairs of baby legs inc postage was £10 :shock: they're all made with organic merino wool too!

:shock: :shock: :shock: Where from? :pinocchio:

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:29 am

.... it is annoying how much prices vary!!!

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:16 pm

mamavic wrote:I've got no problem with the WAHM and UK produced stuff being more expensive, it's more on the mass produced items like MEOS or BGs where your paying more for the same item made in the same factory.

WSS

To be honest I'm surprised woolies are not more expensive considering how long they must take to knit!

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Louise wrote:Also, there are a lot more instock nappies/clothes/woollies on HC and Etsy - most (if not all) of the UK WAHMs work are custom orders.

The instock thing is a big factor for me..Yes it may take a week to get here but I don't always want to have to spend time 'designing' something. I know OOAK things are lovely but for the main part I just want to see something I like and buy it, not have to spend time thinking about colours, fabrics etc. I guess it's the type of shopper I am and the 'instant gratification' :giggle: I've tried stalking when UK wahm instock items are listed but I just can't cope with that either, the thought of having to sit at a computer waiting with finger's poised, often to be disappointed is just too stressful. It's like queueing for Next sales, something that I don't get. I'd rather have a leisurely browse.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I think its also a case of WAHM have to order fabric from US or other countries so that bumps up the prices.
I do find that alot of the US nappies are not as absorbant as the UK WAHM's.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat