hf1

"I wish I knew." Just starting out on Cloth Nappy journey.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: "I wish I knew." Just starting out on Cloth Nappy journey.

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 am

flongies are fleece trousers- great for using over a fitted nappy, wash with fabric conditioner for a more water resistant pair of trousers.

longies-gorgeous wool knitted trousers, look in the wool section on the classifieds for more, there is also wool interlock which is quite often hand dyed again more expensive, but harder wearing imo that wool longies.

watch out for wool skirties if u have a girl, just beautiful they are!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:50 am

MegAndMe wrote:Congrats on the baby! May he or she bring you as much joy as our daughter has brought us x

Thanks for these suggestions, will go and have a look now... regarding the wipes, what is the difference between the fabrics and why are some fleece on one side, towelling on the other? The ones I have used in the trial are just like flannels really...

And another question... what are Flongies/Longies? I keep seeing them referred to but I can't find out what they are :oops:

The different fabrics have different softness and 'grabbing' properties :giggle: I have gone for OBV on one side and bamboo terry on the other. It means that one side is roughish for poops and the other is nice and soft for delicate bits, and for drying up. Cheeky wipes, and other wipes are generally 1 type of material, and if you wanted both sides made out of bamboo terry you can do, but I like the extravigence of the OBV as it is strokably soft and yummy.
Longies are knitted wollen trousers. Once they are lanolised (soaked with lanolin) they are waterresistant yet still breathable and make great nappy covers for fitten nappies. you dont have to bother with a wrap, as the trousers are a wrap as well as clothes. You can also get soakers, which look like knitted pull up wraps, shorties which are knitted shorts, and skirties which are knitted skirts with a soaker attached. All make great nappy covers, especially overnight.
Flongies are fleace versions of longies. They are cheeper to buy, but unlike wool you have to wash flongies after every use.
Im not the best person to ask about woolies tho as I havent used them mysel (am starting a little stash tho :giggle: ) If you have a look at the wool section, there will be tons of posts on how to wash and lanolie etc
HTH's

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 am

one thing i will add is i was pretty daunted by wool at first. but once u have some lanolin and a few pairs of trousers, soakers etc etc it is a doddle. i generally only wash and re lanolise once a month unless needed, the rest of the time i just air between use. but mine are used in a huuuuuge rotation, ballpark figure of maybe 50 woolie items....

and if u get really brave, u can make your own :-)

My avatar
MegAndMe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MegAndMe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:48 am

Sorry all, been a bit busy last week so didn't find the time to follow up the thread... thank you all for your explainations and advice, really looking forward to my 'adventure in cloth'!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat