New to cloth. Advice needed please.

My avatar
K3lly1985
Clothie
Clothie

Re: New to cloth. Advice needed please.

Postby K3lly1985 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 pm

Also not sure if it makes a difference, but will be breast feeding,

What liners do you use? I'm thinking flushables, but do they catch newborn breast fed poo? Or is it a waste of time?

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Just a quicky to say don't assume that disposables will be more reliable than cloth. When he got big, my LO used to leak through two disposables in the night (Pampers Baby dry) and so I had to switch to cloth (specific night nappies - we use Little Gumnut All Hours (WAHM).
When he was tiny, his BF poo used to shoot straight out up the back of disposables needing a clothes change almost every time he pooed. I've not had a newborn in cloth but I hear that newborn cloth is a damn site more reliable at keeping poo in. Fingers crossed! :thumbsup:

Oh, and congratulations :D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:48 am

Breastfed poo does not get caught in liners IME so yeh a waste of time :giggle: When they are breastfed i would say just bang the nappies straight in the wash.

I have never tried ebay cheapies so can't comment on them but whatever pocket nappy you do choose it is only as good as what you stuff it with.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 am

K3lly1985 wrote:Also not sure if it makes a difference, but will be breast feeding,

What liners do you use? I'm thinking flushables, but do they catch newborn breast fed poo? Or is it a waste of time?

I used flushable liners (I washed the non-soiled ones!) until I realised they were the cause of DS2's horrible nappy rash. I then bought a cheap fleece blanket and cut to size and the rash went within 24hrs.

We also had leaks with disposables during the night but are fine with a designated night nappy.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:39 pm

You can use any wraps & boosters you like with any nappy. Washing machines are very good at dealing with breastfed baby poop so just throw the whole lot in the machine & don't worry about it. I not sure about formula poop though so I wouldn't do that if you supplement at all.

Liners are useless at containing breast fed baby poop so I would forget about them as long as baby is exclusively breastfed. Once baby starts solids, I would use fleece liners. The poop still will be all over the nappies though so you will have to start sluicing.

My avatar
K3lly1985
Clothie
Clothie

Postby K3lly1985 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 am

So much info!! Lol

I'll deffo be just bearstfeeding till weaned. We always had leaky poos With other two, and they were in disposables.

So after few days will go to cloth. Got 1 pack of nappies for first few days.
I'm getting my bamboozles soon, and then going to get some little lamb (read they quick at drying at good quality)
What wraps would u suggest?
not sure if to use PUL fleece or wool? Although from what I've read you have to treat the wool? Not sure how though.

What boosters do u use? Going to get some little lamb ones, bamboo and then maybe a few night time ones?

Also am I right in thinking wraps have the Velcro /poppers and soackers are pull on? Is that the only difference? Which is best?

Sorry for all the questions. Your all great for answering!!

Thanks x x :hug:

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat