hf1

Nappies and nursery- any experiences?

My avatar
ThreeDragons
Clothie
Clothie

Nappies and nursery- any experiences?

Postby ThreeDragons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Asking this for a friend who will be starting her LO at nursery soon and would like to know if nurseries are OK with cloth, or if anyone has managed to win round a reluctant nursery. She uses mainly miosolo and Tots EF so fairly foolproof nappies, or so you would hope.

Any thoughts I can pass on please? Thanks :thumbsup:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Nappies and nursery- any experiences?

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Pretty sure nurseres can't refuse to use cloth. We send 4/5 EFs in with her in the morning, and they come back in a wetbag in the evening. I have them all stuffed and tbh, they're no more difficult that a disposable. When I worked in a nursery, we had a few lo in various cloth, including pre-folds, and never found it an issue.

We use cloth wipes at home, but to keep it simple we ask them to use cotton wool and warm water.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:14 pm

My sil works in a nursery and they're really clued up on what to do-normally people bring a mini stash in a bag with a wet bag for the used. They keep everyones stuff in their own seperate drawer as well to prevent mix-ups. I wouldn't use my precious permastash though just in case someone binned it/painted it by accident though! :shock:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Yep, we send in cloth with Otis - a set of 5 Easyfits or Bumgenius plus wipes and a wetbag - and we get a 20p an hour discount :wine:

Only downside was trecking back up there today when they forgot to send the full wetbag home yesterday :roll: :giggle:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:38 am

Mine were happy to use it, and I sent ready stuffed pockets. Despite me sending a wetbag, they always sent the nappies home in those silly scented nappy sacks. Yuk.

The biggest problem, which I never overcame, was frequency of changing. She was there 9 til 6, and they only changed her 3 or 4 times. I do t think that's frequent enough, so eventually started to send sposies, cos it seemed the lesser evil. She only went one day a week, but had she gone more, I'd have insisted on more frequent cloth changes.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:55 am

Nurseries need to respect parenting wishes as far as possible. As using cloth is becoming more popular, the response is more likely to be 'yes' or 'yes, if you show us what to do', rather than an outright no.

We send bumgenius or coolababy pockets and they are fine with them. They even rinse the really stinky ones for us. They have lost 2 in 2.5 years, which is sad, but at least they were basics.

I wouldn't send anything posh or expensive, and it would be easier if it was just a single sort (ie poppers pockets, or aplix 2 parters) and be prepared to show them what to do.

Go for it! :D

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:33 am

Ryan is the only one in cloth at his nrusery and they love him in them as it is easy for them as they know what is his and i send wipes as well. i send in pockets now some times there on back to front but other than that is not bad. they change ryan every 2 hours for me.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:59 am

We've had no problems despite DD being the only one in cloth. We mainly used BBSS but sometimes she went in fitteds and wool :-)

My avatar
shyler76
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shyler76 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:01 pm

No problems here either :thumbsup: I used AI2's and pockets which we never had problems with. Sent them with an empty wetbag and they always came back perfect (you do have to watch them with the sudocrem though - they love it. I always sent my own, nappy friendly creams). In fact, when Nieve moved up rooms they all moaned about how much they would miss her and her lovely nappies (think they meant the ittis and WNs) :widesmile:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat