hf1

Stripping Nappies

My avatar
mrstessyman
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Stripping Nappies

Postby mrstessyman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

OK I have a not so good ammonia smell coming from my Bumgenius - I have heard and read about stripping nappies to get rid of this but kinda at a loss as to how to actually do it! (all the instructions and advice I can find are from America, so brand names mean nothing!).

Any idea also how I can prevent this from happening again? at the moment our wash routine is a super long wash with prewash built in, and an extra rinse. Occasionally - maybe once a week/fortnight I will wash them all with an extra wash and no detergent, and/or put a little nappy d (?) in.

Am i doing something fundamentally flawed here?

Thanks :D

Kerry :pregnant:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Stripping Nappies

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 pm

We've got a whooooole section on washing nappies if you scroll further down the board and people often post similar questions :) viewforum.php?f=19

The way I strip my nappies is to wash at 30 with a FULL dose of biological detergent (for heavy soiling) and then do rinse cycle after rinse cycle (or a full wash cycle with no detergent) until there are no bubbles left... (between leaving baby's bum and going back on it I'd do a 60degree wash but make the first one at 30/cold)

Normally I wash my nappies at 60 with less than 1/2 dose of bio detergent... BUT I do a cold prewash cycle first which rinses out the wee before the temperature of the hot wash fixes the smell in...

Everyone has their own way of doing it though - some people use fairy liquid, some people soak in a vinegar solution, some people use soda crystals...

By doing a wash with a full dose of detergent you're ensuring they're getting a really good wash - and then by doing rinse after rinse until there are no bubbles to be seen you are ensuring there is no detergent build-up

Hope that helps a little...

My avatar
mrstessyman
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Stripping Nappies

Postby mrstessyman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:We've got a whooooole section on washing nappies if you scroll further down the board and people often post similar questions :) viewforum.php?f=19


Thanks I *did* look - guess I need to look harder! :D:D

I only wash at 30 - should I be washing hotter?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Stripping Nappies

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

mrstessyman wrote:I only wash at 30 - should I be washing hotter?

Well we got/get rashes when we don't... But Isabelle does have sensitive skin and I know other people wash at lower temps without any problems...
So if you've not had any problems then carry on!! :) (but if your LO ever gets thrush then do wash them at 60 to kill the thrush...)

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Re: Stripping Nappies

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:12 pm

I asked about this a few weeks ago and, based on the info I got here, here's what I did:

- do a cold wash without detergent
- do a 60c wash with a full amount of detergent
- do two full rinse cycles without any detergent (or as many rinses as you need to make sure all the soapy bubbles have gone)

It's probably also worth doing a maintenance wash on your machine, just so you know that's working as well as it should be (I use soda crystals for this).

I also switched from non-bio to bio and now use 1 tablet of Ariel to wash nappies (I usually do a cold wash without detergent, followed by a 60c wash with bio). That seems to make sure the nappies come out smelling lovely and clean.

HTH

My avatar
mrstessyman
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Stripping Nappies

Postby mrstessyman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Soupdragon wrote:I asked about this a few weeks ago and, based on the info I got here, here's what I did:

- do a cold wash without detergent
- do a 60c wash with a full amount of detergent
- do two full rinse cycles without any detergent (or as many rinses as you need to make sure all the soapy bubbles have gone)

It's probably also worth doing a maintenance wash on your machine, just so you know that's working as well as it should be (I use soda crystals for this).

I also switched from non-bio to bio and now use 1 tablet of Ariel to wash nappies (I usually do a cold wash without detergent, followed by a 60c wash with bio). That seems to make sure the nappies come out smelling lovely and clean.

HTH

Thanks :D


Return to Cloth Nappy Chat