hf1

How to best convince an unsure mum about using cloth?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

How to best convince an unsure mum about using cloth?

Postby clothmama » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:25 am

My gorgeous brother James and his lovely OH Naomi are 20 weeks pregnant with my newest niece :yahoo:.

James is totally converted to the idea of cloth but Noms is a little unsure, she is worried about the extra work etc. I've sent J lots of links and talked him through her concerns (ie 3 extra loads of washing a week is not the end the end of the world etc!). I just wondered if any of you have had to convince unsure new mums or hubby's if you were onside but they were hesitant?

Also what should I be recommending (it has been a while :cry: ) for cute girly bombproof nb nappies (happy to get some of classifieds to send them to help the convincing :giggle: )?

He has joined up to have a good look bless him @clothbrother :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: How to best convince an unsure mum about using cloth?

Postby Louise » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 am

What is she concerned about? Is it the extra washing? I would have had more washing if I'd used sposies as every single dirty nappy of Mia's would have meant a change of clothes!! (Plus I actually enjoying putting the nappies back together once they are dry :lookround: ) You never have to worry about running out of nappies and making a mad dash to the shop for more!!

As for teeny girly nb nappies, our favourites were XS Owe Whoa When and Hollow Oak newborn. Teenyfits are a good nb option as they're velcro fastening so would be quite easy to use for new parents.

My avatar
leeree
Clothie
Clothie

Postby leeree » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 am

Tell her the laziest person in the world (me!) uses and loves them! I was unsure when I took my first tentative steps into cloth 12 weeks ago and now I am addicted. It's not really any extra work for me I don't think, although I wash her nappies with other stuff too (not sure if you are meant to do this but everything comes out spotless!)

Would the eco aspect convert her at all? That was what did it for me TBH. We used disposables until she was 4 weeks (I was so uneducated then, now I see all these gorgeous nb nappies!) The amount we were chucking was heart wrenching! Feel much happier now with our choice!

Good luck, I can't wait to convert someone!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:03 am

Never having to worry about running out, being kinder to the environment, looking and feel so gorgeous and also the fact that you can recoup a LOT of the cost when it comes to selling. You have to wash stuff all the time anyway-as a newborn and when weaning etc so washing loads not a problem foe me. Would personally recommend wahm (sized green panda, dunk n funk, and birth to potty monkey snuggles, bububebe and little fancy pants) more as they're just so lovely and cute as well as being ultra reliable (I'm Sooo spolit by these I know) but people do swear by bumgenius etc. I wouldn't go down the velcro route personally-its a matter of taste-but it can get tangled in the wash and get bobbled although dead easy to use ;-) good luck!! X

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:27 am

I don't think you can convince people. Several of my friends have seen how lovely our fluff was, how much I loved it, the environmental benefits, the (potential!) cost savings, and that it wasn't hard work or disgusting. But even though they acknowledged these things, they felt it wasn't for them.

Some people think they fancy it and will 'do it after the first few weeks'. Most of these end up a lost cause :(

I think because there's a such a range of objections to cloth, and the bulk of parental influences are pro sposie, it is going to have a minority appeal.

I used to get so wound up by this! But in the past 4 years there has been a steady increase in availability, and my new bb has way more interested in cloth than last time, so I can only hope that continues.

Fingers crossed your bro and sil see the light and some gentle persuasion wins the day!

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

Show her CNT baby of the year?!? :giggle:

In all seriousness the washing did put me off when I first started, but I soon saw the benefits, she may come round once she's had a go for real. So my advice would be to send lots of yummy NB fluff, xs oww for definite :D

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:30 am

I had to do a micro teach at college, I did it on cloth nappies; as well as talking about all the benefits of cloth I also did a race, I had 2 of the lads in the class race to change a nappy on a teddy, one had a bg the other had a sposie, the bg won, that seemed to sway a few people, but its not the most practical idea :s I wish we had videoed it. Generally just reminding them of the benefits and assuring them that it isn't that much extra washing would be my suggestion

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:41 am

Just send her a WN :giggle: - if the eco, health benefits, cost factor and assurance that its possibly less work than disps (all those leaks!!) then the cuteness factor HAS to win :thumbsup:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 pm

For me it was those horrible chemicals near my beautiful baby. That and the cuteness.
IMO it takes an extra 30mins a day I wash every day so that includes puting them inthe machine hanging them out and folding them. It will take lobgerto change sets of clothes when expulsions shot up their back tummy ect ect and they sink o can't stand the smell of sposies once they have been wee'd in it is horrible I couldn't spend 2-3years smelling that.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat