hf1

How to best convince an unsure mum about using cloth?

My avatar
Lorna
Clothie
Clothie

Re: How to best convince an unsure mum about using cloth?

Postby Lorna » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Lend her a nappy then let her compare it to the smelly disposables?

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 pm

My MIL is tooooootttallly against us using cloth nappies :( it's going to be a difficult one as we are equally determined to use them :)
We wanted to use them with DS2 but just never got round to buying the nappies and ended up using disposables again, so this time we have started buying early and are 100% going to be using cloth, however a conversation I recall with MIL (who is a lovely lady, just doesn't like the idea of cloth nappies AT ALL) was that even if we are using cloth nappies if baby is ever staying with her she wont be using them and will just buy in disposables, we have attempted to change her mind on the subject, but she is SERIOUSLY not up for the idea at all >_>

My avatar
Johanna21
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Johanna21 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:52 pm

KimmyM wrote:and they sink o can't stand the smell of sposies once they have been wee'd in it is horrible I couldn't spend 2-3years smelling that.

I hate the smell of wee in a disposable nappy too - I thought it was just me!

One big reason I used cloth was because we only have our bin emptied once a fortnight here. It's usually full anyway so we would have been storing dirty nappies and taking special trips to the tip with them. Who wants a bin full of poo?

The cuteness factor and the lack of nasty poo leaks are big factors too.

You could send a teddy for baby with a super cute newborn nappy on - see if that sways her a bit.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 am

Thanks everyone for your replies!

@clothbrother how is the convincing going :giggle: ?? Pop your pics up so we can tell you the ones that you have already :widesmile:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:07 am

Show her the list of chemicals in the average sposie and what some of them are used for, its terrifying to think what you are putting so close to your nb! I adore my teenyfits on Holly and with all the flamin' washing you do with a nb one more wash is really not noticed :giggle: they are welcome to borrow my teeny's once Holly is out of them if you like? They will only go on classifieds afterwards anyway.

My avatar
shyler76
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shyler76 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 am

Chemicals for me too and I didn't even research into them :doh: At about 11 weeks old my DD developed burn like sores on her bum. I thought it might be chlorine (since I'm allergic to it) so swopped to an eco brand before giving cloth a try. I went back to the eco brand for a holiday away and found after two days of use the same sores were developing. I don't know anyone else in my area who uses cloth - all my friends love my fluff but don't want to 'scrape poo' out of nappies themselves (even after I talk about chemicals in sposies, cost effectiveness, reality of the work involved, ecological benefits, gorgeousness and wide range of fluffy options) :(

My avatar
clothbrother
Clothie
Clothie

Postby clothbrother » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your words of support, think this thread will help. Naomi is at her mums ATM and is getting nightmare stories of soaking terry cloths, hopefully your messages will swing her back to the path of reason :).

http://db.tt/Pfy2DJff

Here is a pic of some things that we have inherited. From what I can tell there are 2x tots bots (1x AIO, 1x easy fit), the green one says puddlekins but I couldn't find any info about that, the white ones have a pic of a lamb on them and the liner bit above them was inside. Assume the roll is liners and the bag is to hold dirty nappys on the go, inc in pic incase I'm being an idiot and guessed totally wrong! Would love to ID the lamb and green ones. Would also be great to know if there is any I have that I should just dump(pun only half intended) or what must haves I am missing (realise this is a huge question so will post again with more specific questions when I have read more).

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement :D

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Can't get the link on my phone but the lamb ones will probably be be little lambs but may be an older version with a different label to the current ones- they come in bamboo, cotton and microfibre versions.Puddlekins are now little gumnut and are fab nappies.
http://www.littlelambnappies.com/

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:36 pm

How to persuade her? get @clothbrother to sign up to doing all the nappy washes and reassembling etc. DH didn't want to use cloth (and still didn't right till the end) but because I sorted it all out myself he didn't have an argument against it.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat