hf1

Ladies I need an answer! A really good one!

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Ladies I need an answer! A really good one!

Postby CherryPie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 am

So I just shared Babykinds photo regarding the amount of waste sposies make and how much they cost the tax payer and someone commented with this....."how much energy would it take/cost to wash 8 million nappies and treat the water they have been washed in. We need a better solution I think."
And I need a really good answer!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Ladies I need an answer! A really good one!

Postby Dora » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:58 am

Well I'd wait for others to answer but all water used needs to be treated anyway-regardless of washing machines or not-and as I put my nappies in with my normal loads it makes not one bit of difference. In fact I'd counter that at that at filling my machine at just the right amount, using environmentally sound wash products and always using the lowest setting and not tumbling im doing a lot better than the average user. And besides-I pay my own waterbill. I'm not creating a landfill waste gift that keeps on giving to the next generation!

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 am

I don't know who pays everyone elses water and electricity bill but as I pay my own my nappies cost everyone else nothing, and I think if you were to weigh up the enviromental pros of the energy I use for 2 extra washes a week against the energy used by a family who let's say own a dishwater that is running every night and use disposables then I would still come out a winner ;)

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:23 pm

I would say we need to look at the argument from the other side.

The energy, water and resources that are squandered in making, disposing and transporting the 3,962,066,667 disposables used by the 700,000 babies born in the UK every year is enormous. We've calculated that those dispos stretch to the moon and back 4 times!! If you begin to think about where the raw materials come from and the production and transport implications of that, how those disposables are processed and manufactured, the energy, water and chemicals needed for the factories that produce them, then even the significant cost that local councils bear in relation to disposal and the resulting damage to your local environment pales into insignificance.

We don't wear disposable clothes for a reason. The world is just not capable of producing the raw materials needed for clothing billions of people in that way. I am not entirely sure why we can't apply that logic to nappies. Something obviously went horribly wrong somewhere.

Sure nappies need to be washed and admittedly that uses electricity and water. Responsible washing at lower temperatures aided by new tech machines is reducing that burden significantly. Our new machine for example will wash the same amount of washing as the old one using less than half the electricity and about 60% of the water.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Mr Clothmama wrote:I would say we need to look at the argument from the other side.

The energy, water and resources that are squandered in making, disposing and transporting the 3,962,066,667 disposables used by the 700,000 babies born in the UK every year is enormous. We've calculated that those dispos stretch to the moon and back 4 times!! If you begin to think about where the raw materials come from and the production and transport implications of that, how those disposables are processed and manufactured, the energy, water and chemicals needed for the factories that produce them, then even the significant cost that local councils bear in relation to disposal and the resulting damage to your local environment pales into insignificance.

We don't wear disposable clothes for a reason. The world is just not capable of producing the raw materials needed for clothing billions of people in that way. I am not entirely sure why we can't apply that logic to nappies. Something obviously went horribly wrong somewhere.

Sure nappies need to be washed and admittedly that uses electricity and water. Responsible washing at lower temperatures aided by new tech machines is reducing that burden significantly. Our new machine for example will wash the same amount of washing as the old one using less than half the electricity and about 60% of the water.

^exactly.

A friend of mine was recently telling me how her brand new car would be better for the enviroment than her 4 year old car, as its emissions were so low etc. I said I wonder how much emissions have gone into the manufacture and shipping of that brand new car before you even drive it.... :wink:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Mr Clothmama wrote:I would say we need to look at the argument from the other side.

Exactly this!

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Ooooo nice one!! I have copied & pasted :giggle: :thumbsup: let's see what he says to that!!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Oh I'm not going to be helpful but I think I would have asked if he had any suggestions for a "better way" and then said a rude word at the computer screen.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Ooh do let us know cherry pie :)

Good answer mr clothmama!!!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat