hf1

What is the best cloth to start a newborn in?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What is the best cloth to start a newborn in?

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:56 am

I have bought nearly all DS nappies preloved this time, night nappies are the only ones I've bought new (and a few DnFs because I love them!) You can normally sell them on again too.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm

We are using a mixture of xs sandies,xs OWW, nature babies,bimbles and swaddlebees newborn atm.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 pm

lazylexis wrote:We are using a mixture of xs sandies,xs OWW, nature babies,bimbles and swaddlebees newborn atm.

Another vote for bimbles here (just got a few more!) We are also going to be using prefolds too, to get us through the first few weeks.

My avatar
elena
Clothie
Clothie

Postby elena » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Can I just ask another daft question... why would anyone buy fitteds as opposed to ai1/ai2? I have been looking around and the designs are so cute, what is the point hiding all this beauty behind yet another layer (unless it in itself is striking)?

If I had those oww/etc I would not want to put my lo into any clothes i fear! :hohoho:

My avatar
elena
Clothie
Clothie

Postby elena » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Sorry, I withdraw the question - the practicalities are obvious, it is just seems such a waste of cute design...

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41 pm

For me, the newborn stage is all about practicality, which I why I am happy to have plain nappies and wraps at this stage. I've gone for two-parters as, in my opinion, they will give more protection against the newborn / early stage explosive breastfed poos.

I get more show off nappies (pockets and wraps) when they are able to start moving, crawling, toddling as there is more chance to show them off.

However, there are some really beautiful nappies out there and if you fancy something beautiful, then why not? :D

My avatar
Vanilla
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Vanilla » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 pm

I sympathise as I've no previous experience of cloth on a newborn either, and it can be very confusing knowing where to start at first. I was trying to only go for cheap options like prefolds, but I did also get some small Bambootys on sale & from the classifieds here - I thought a few AIOs might be handy for sleep-befuddled night time changes. However I am currently overdue & stuck at home bored & fed up because of it! So I am blaming my bump for the fact that I have bought a load more newborn nappies this past week, taking advantage of RNW offers, even though I'm already stocked up on prefolds etc! :oops:
You can still get bumgenius newborn nappies on BOGOF from Fluffheaven until the end of April. They work out £5 each so not bad price. I have no idea how good they are but they are a very poular brand - seem to re-sell easily. So I got a few of those. I have heard good things about diddy diapers, these retail new for about £5 each, they need a wrap to go on top though. I got several XS sandys new on ebay very cheaply - I've figured out that a certain council gives out free trial packs of them, and a lot of them end up on ebay unused! I also couldn't resist buying a few Lil Joeys & Grovia newborn - these are both AIO and they look cute, again just an easy option for the first few weeks. But i agree 2 parters are probably best - personally I'm not worried about nappies being plain, you can always buy cute wraps to go on top if you want.

You can get a half price trial pack from Totsbots - this includes a teenyfit & a small bamboozle. If you have the Bounty mag the code's in there, or it's posted in the moneysaving part of this forum.

I'm sure the likes of OWW are really lovely, but seem very expensive for a newborn who won't be wearing them for long. Yes you can sell them on, but personally I'd still worry about getting my money's worth plus the initial investment would be a lot. So maybe not the ideal place to start if trying to convince an unsure partner about cloth as well.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Vanilla wrote:... However I am currently overdue & stuck at home bored & fed up because of it! So I am blaming my bump for the fact that I have bought a load more newborn nappies this past week...

I think we are in the same situation and doing the same thing! :giggle: :oops:

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 pm

We used just Bumgenius newborn AIO's for the first few weeks with DD and they were fab. They only lasted a few weeks but this was enough as she then fitted into her size small ittis and flips on smallest size. This time round i am planning to use BG AIO again and have also got some totsbots stretch size 1's to use with wool longies over. If this bub sleeps through from 5 weeks old like DD did the TB stretch will come in handy for night times too.

ooh will be getting a totsbots trial pack too, i think the half price code is possibly BTRIAL12, will check before ordering.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat