hf1

Poop advice - not sure where to put question sorry.

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Poop advice - not sure where to put question sorry.

Postby dodda » Thu May 10, 2012 11:46 am

Hi

I'm new to reusable nappies so I'm sorry if this is a silly question. My son 2 years suffers with allergies and a very sensitive tummy so has maybe 2-3 poops a day (sometimes more) which are quite messy and explosive (sorry TMI) and get everywhere on disposables and very often come out the top and sides (they are never solid). I wish I knew before that reusables are suppose to be better at containing messes than disposables as it would have saved sooooo much washing!!!! They are also very smelly and sticky to clean up. DH is reluctant to use reusables on him because he is a bit worried about how much poop we'll have to clean off the nappies and how much they will smell in the wash bin......

Any tips on handling over active tummies in reuseables? I have already posted a thread about how many layers of inserts to use as I was thinking the less inserts the less things to get messy, I've heard of dunking or flushing in the toilet before going in the wash bin and have ordered some fleece to cut up to make wipes. I'm not very good at sewing but do have a machine and was just reading its easier to clean poop with towelling wipes so would a double fleece / towelling wipe be a good idea? I plan on washing every 2 - 3 days so any tips so the bin doesn't stink the place out and any other ideas oh how to get the poop off the nappies? Any other tips greatly appreciated as we really want to give it a good try.....

Thanks for your help.
xx

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Poop advice - not sure where to put question sorry.

Postby red_dwarf » Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 am

If you dunk them and get most of the poop off, they wont stink out the nappy bucket dont worry :wink: My LO's Night nappies smell far far far worse than his poopy ones

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 am

I would definitely get disposable (paper) liners to catch the worst of it. Then dunk to rinse any other big bits off before putting in the bucket.

And yes, towelling / fleece double sided wipes are great - I use the towel side to clean, then the fleece side with a bit of lotion to finish.

What kind of nappies are you using?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu May 10, 2012 12:00 pm

My DD is a regular pooper and we are still having teething nappies so probably similar. And you are pretty much on the money. Dunk and flush till most of the poop is off a fleece loner can help but if you find the nappy is still getting quiet messy they aren't a must.
I use wet bags and a bucket and have to say I prefer the wet bags (MF) you can just pop a few drops of an essential oil on a wipe/liner and pop it in the bag to tame any odours I only find we have an issue with smelly nappy's when DH hasn't put the lid on the bucket.
Good luck.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu May 10, 2012 12:29 pm

My second youngest DD had similar issues with poop. I never dunked and flushed :puke: (far too messy, germs etc from the toilet splash everywhere, we only flush here with the lid down!!) It was much easier for me to rinse the nappy using the shower into a bucket and tip the water down the toilet. Paper liners made it worse for us so I just stuck to fleece ones. IME disposable nappies absolutely reek but I've never had smell issues with cloth at all. Some people add a few drops of tea tree oil in the bucket/wetbag with the first nappy to help with smells.

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dodda » Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Wow. Thanks everyone for such quick replies..

I started off thinking to use disposables liners. But then I was reading the fleece was better to keep the moisture away from the bottom and as DS gets a sore bottom easily I thought I'd try those instead. I really liked the idea of just being able to pick the liner up and flush. I'll get a pack of disposables and give them both a try.

I like the idea of putting a bit of lotion on after cleaning but I thought you weren't suppose to use creams with reusables ?? I've been worried about that as his bottom gets so sore sometimes...

We have brought a mix of new and preloved to try out. There are some tots bots, fuzzibunz, bambootys, little lambs, terries, prefolds, thirsties wrap, motherease wraps and some ebay cheapies. Some are AIOs, some pockets and then the terries and prefolds. From what started out as just getting 2-3 to try out I went a bit OTT and now have about 20. :shock:

I've got a wet bag on its way but have a spare bin so was going to give both a go. I guess the bag makes more sense as it would be a lot easier to carry the nappies downstairs to the washer without dripping... I was just worried the smell would deep out of the wet bag. I love the idea of the oil. I was going to get some to make up a wipe mix so will definitely give that a go.

I had thought about the splash back problem so will give the bucket idea a go. A lot of the time he is in such a mess that its easier just to stand him in the bath and shower his bottom down (after getting the big bits off) so I guess it could work to do the both at the same time.

I guess its just a case of trying everything out and having 'fun' along the way.... We are expecting another LO soon so the idea is to get into the reusable nappies now so it doesn't feel so different when LO comes. Fingers crossed it goes ok.

Thanks for all your help.
xx

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Thu May 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Also get a bucket liner so when you need to empty the nappies into the machine you can just pull out the whole bag without handling the sopping/messy nappies :) My LO has horrible loose poo too so I know where you are coming from!

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dodda » Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Is that one of the mesh laundry bags or can you get proper liners??

xx

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu May 10, 2012 2:52 pm

I you look up Monkey Foot wet bags they have a zip fastening so they elbag it water proof if water can't get out smells should stay in if you get my logic.
You can get bucket mesh bags if you go down the bucket route.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat