hf1

Cotton Nappy Question

My avatar
DebbieP
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Cotton Nappy Question

Postby DebbieP » Thu May 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Looking for some opinions / advice please....again! Am wondering if I should maybe add some cotton nappies to my growing NB nappy stash? So far I have all bamboo (lollipop, ll's and easy peasy bimble) and BG AIO NB. Will also invest in some Teenyfits, couple of BB's and pretty WAHM nappies / wraps when I know baby's gender. Just wondering if cotton would be an idea for daytime use / quick drying purposes (still thinking easy peasy bimble QD / ME sandy's if going down the cotton route).

TIA for any help!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Cotton Nappy Question

Postby Kirstyh » Thu May 17, 2012 2:07 pm

in my experience cotton wouldn't have worked for us at all, newborns pee a lot x

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu May 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I would avoid cotton too. Emmet can outpee decent bamboo nappies in 1-2hrs :roll:

My avatar
DebbieP
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby DebbieP » Thu May 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks both, that's my concern that they wouldn't last long, am just concerned that am focusing too much on one type of nappy only ie bamboo fitteds!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I would just try different bamboo fitteds, don't buy all the same brand incase they don't suit your baby when it arrives. Could can always get some boosters too for those nappies that don't last long :D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu May 17, 2012 3:18 pm

The thing is with newborns is they poo loads so you are changing them often anyway so I would say they are worth it we used only cotton for the first few months and were fine. Also known people who just used terry squares full time my mum for one and many generations of people before that. I would say they are so cheap and a good stash filler

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu May 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Cotton were ok for the first 2-3 weeks as we were changing every 2 hours.Now at almost 4 weeks a boosted little lamb bamboo is soaked in 2-3 hours.Jacob is now on the loosest poppers of boosted xs sandies but the s are too big!!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 pm

I agree, cotton in the early days works well. We had cotton TB & Terries with Scarlett and they were fine, quick drying and as someone else said, you can easily boost (with bamboo if you want) to make them last longer if baby is a heavy wetter.

I liked the quick drying time. Could have them washed & dried over night ready for use again the next day. Ideal for DH when he was taking the nappies home to wash when i was in hosp.

I have Sandies this time as my 'cheap quick drying' ones - My 'spares' as i like to call them, also ideal if just before bed or out of the bath etc so its not a big deal if they get pooped on. Would hate to have to wash and dry a bamboo or WAHM one for the sake of 10mins on their tush lol.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Thu May 17, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm sure there are some wonder materials out there but I have to say, through experience, if something dries quickly its because it can't absorb that much water and hence doesn't make the best nappy-cotton and microfibre especially :-/ x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat