hf1

WNSS leaking after short time. Alternative suggestions?

My avatar
ReallyNotAHippy
Clothie
Clothie

WNSS leaking after short time. Alternative suggestions?

Postby ReallyNotAHippy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 am

Hope someone can help out. Have used cloth on both my boys from the start. DS1 had Large WNSS from 12 months until potty training and they worked brilliantly. DS2 is now in the same but they keep leaking-even after less than an hour-which I think is due to gaping when he's sat rather than over weeing. He's very long but not that heavy. His tummy's pretty skinny but his thighs are average I think.

They're fine if we use a wrap over the top, but that sort of defeats the object of the nappy!

Looking for something that's got the stay dry inside, looks cute like WNN's but won't gape as much. Am happy to use two-parters as have wraps, but those I've seen don't seem to have stay-dry inside. Any suggestions please?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: WNSS leaking after short time. Alternative suggestions?

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 pm

When it comes to leaks there are two ways to find out what the problem is..,

If the nappy is absolutely saturated to bursting... Then the leak is due not enough absorbancy

If the nappy is dry in places but still leaks ... Then it's a fit problem.

Have you tried WNOS pockets? Either popper or aplix fastening!
I prefer these to their side snaps on mine and can get a better fit.
That way you get your stay dry inner & your cute WN outer!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:30 pm

What are you stuffing them with and where is the wetness? Sometimes the PUL can need resealing especially around the stitching a 5 min tumble in the dryer on hot will solve that.

Different shapes play a huge part in fit as well, what works well for one baby may not work for the next due to different shapes, trying again in a month or so can make a difference

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:31 pm

docmaggoo wrote:When it comes to leaks there are two ways to find out what the problem is..,

If the nappy is absolutely saturated to bursting... Then the leak is due not enough absorbancy

We have the opposite problem! I have never got a good fit with WNOS on any of my children. :lol:

Out of interest why do you need the stay dry layer in a fitted? We use fleece or minkee liners in our fitteds that have BV inners. I do like my WN Northern Lights with minkee topped soakers though :D My Tweedlebee and Tweedlebum fitteds and some of my Holdens Landing fitteds have minkee inners too.

Also how old is your DS and what size and rise are they? You might find that a medium high rise fits better than a standard rise large for example.

My avatar
ReallyNotAHippy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ReallyNotAHippy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Louise wrote:
docmaggoo wrote:When it comes to leaks there are two ways to find out what the problem is..,

We have the opposite problem! I have never got a good fit with WNOS on any of my children. :lol:

Out of interest why do you need the stay dry layer in a fitted? We use fleece or minkee liners in our fitteds that have BV inners. I do like my WN Northern Lights with minkee topped soakers though :D My Tweedlebee and Tweedlebum fitteds and some of my Holdens Landing fitteds have minkee inners too.

Also how old is your DS and what size and rise are they? You might find that a medium high rise fits better than a standard rise large for example.

Kirstyh wrote:What are you stuffing them with and where is the wetness? Sometimes the PUL can need resealing especially around the stitching a 5 min tumble in the dryer on hot will solve that.

Different shapes play a huge part in fit as well, what works well for one baby may not work for the next due to different shapes, trying again in a month or so can make a difference

Thanks for all your replies. I'm stuffing them with the WN 6-layer bamboo inserts. Definitely a fit issue as they're not that wet at all when they leak. We tumble them all the time so think its a gape-ing problem rather than the PUL. Currently using them with a ME Rikki over the top but does seem to make it quite sweaty with two layers of PUL.

DS2 is 14 months, in 2-3 year clothes and 23lb, so tall and thin. He was in standard rise mediums until recently but now moved to large. We've got one high rise and the rest medium.

The reason I like the stay-dry layer is that I've found with normal towelling nappies, used with a liner, that the wetness touches their skin around the top-where the nappy does up. This always made them red. Maybe it's due to boys weeing at the front more. With a stay dry layer all the moisture is kept away from the skin.

I'll check out WNOS, Tweedlebee, Tweedlebums and Holdens Landing-thanks! Any more suggestions?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Maybe just a case of coming back to them in a few weeks to see if the fit has changed. I don't tumble pockets at all, I would be too worried about the pul breaking down.

What else to try, Green Panda are really lovey and Uk made so not weeks of waiting and custom charges :wink:

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:35 pm

:wave: I use WNNN's during the day but just dont add all the boosters, they have a stay dry inner! :thumbsup:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Also you could try a WN AI2 as they have stay dry inners and the fit is slightly different to the pockets.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat