hf1

What do you do with newborn poo???

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

What do you do with newborn poo???

Postby charlibunny » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Its much of a mystery for me!! I use fleece liners in everything thats not already fleece lined.
How do you get rid of that delightful yellow newborn (breastfed) poo?? I have tried holding under the flush, to no avail. I dont want to soak them, so i have been rinsing them under the tap with cold water.
DH says to just stick them straight in the nappy bucket and cold rinse before washing. My mother says i will "contaminate my washer" if i do this?? :roll:
I wash either every day or every other day at the most as i have 2 in cloth now. If a newborn poo is in there for a day or so is it more likely to stain?
Please tell me its ok to just chuck in the washer with all my other nappies :babyrolleyes: :bf:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: What do you do with newborn poo???

Postby Shevi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:59 pm

i'd do what dh says...you could always try sposie liners if you want...but i dont think there is any prob with shoving it in your wash, the seperate rinse will get rid of it ready for the wash cycle,

and if you are really worried, every week or 2, you can do a 'cleaning' cycle of your machine empty with a bit of calgon or something

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:38 pm

I stuck it in the dry nappy bucket and then washed as normal. Don't think my washing machine got contaminated especially as I was washing at 60 :wink: Given the amount of water washing machines use, especially if you are doing a cold rinse first, it is all washed away before the final rinse.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:45 pm

I think what you have to keep in mind is that this baby poo is really just digested milk - there are no real bacteria in it like you find in post-weaning poo - especially as its breastmilk.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Wow brilliant, so i can just chuck them in the bucket and not rinse? Sounds good to me!! Im having enough fun trying to dispose of Molly's STINKY teething poo's but luckily thats just once a day :lol:

Now im just dreading weaning and nice orange carrot poo's which i bet DO stain!!!!

Thankyou :):)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:36 pm

I have just been putting Ben's nappies straight in the bucket and then into the machine - I do a cold rinse first and then a normal wash. Don't think I have contaminated my washing machine in the last 5 months. Not looking forward to weening actually as then I will actually have to deal with the poo!

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:01 pm

i just put them on a rinse cycle first as soon as possible, then on at 60, even now when weaning i do the same- but remove ay more solid bits first with a wipe!

My avatar
millercl_6
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby millercl_6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:34 pm

ohh well ive contamined my washing machine :lol:

i always put in dry pail and then straight in the washing machine and no probs

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:25 pm

I was doing exactly the same as you - and rinsing all the pooh off under the tap - what a horrible job!!!
DH was following me around with disinfectant and anti-bac wipes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then I saw a post from Annette saying she puts them straight in the nappy bin, so i started doing that about 10 days ago - and WOW - how easy!!! I use fleece liners with all my nappies - put the nappies on a 60 wash with an extra rinse at the end - and everything comes out lovely and clean!!! No contamination :wink: - even put DH's white shirt wash on straight after - and it was fine :lol:

take care,
Cheryl

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat