hf1

Dressing a new born in cloth!?

My avatar
K3lly1985
Clothie
Clothie

Dressing a new born in cloth!?

Postby K3lly1985 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 pm

So I've jus t put my baby in his firth cloth nappy. A tots bots size 1 with a motherease wrap.
He looks massive! I cant get hs vest on!
He's a big boy anyway. Was 9lb 2 born and 9lb 11 at 10 days, is now 13 days old.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do they all look and feel big to start with compared to disposables?

He's also just pooed! Only had it on 5 mins! Lol

He looks so big, not sure I'll get used to this??

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Dressing a new born in cloth!?

Postby confusinglady » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:25 am

Yay how exciting. Yes they do look massive compared to sposies but that's part of the joy :D
I found it so much easier to handle a newborn with a big bum lol!
With vests you can get vest extenders which i found invaluable.
Xxx

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:31 am

I had a bg newborn and a few teenyfits when lo was tiny, you coud probs get some cheap off classifieds, I think they are more compact, although couldnt be sure as didnt use 2 parters that early on x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 am

When you say big, do you mean bulky? Or too big (as in gaps around the legs)? If it's just bulky, then yes, cloth *is* generally going to be more bulky than sposies. I've never minded personally - I love a nice, squashy, cloth bum. Sposies look unnaturally thin to me! :giggle: If you can't get his vest done up, you can always size up or use a vest extender. It's not a good idea to have a tight vest on over a cloth nappy as it can cause wicking.

If there are gaps around the legs and tummy, however, then it might just be too big for him. My girls were 6lbs ish at birth and I had to use xs and newborn nappies for quite a while.

HTH!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:01 am

Cloth always looks huge on newborns -even large babies - unless you use newborn size nappies. They will look more in proportion in a month or two :)

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:07 am

It's a perspective thing! Cloth bottoms are my 'normal' and sposies are oddly skinny!

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:19 am

There is nothing more lovely than a big newborn cloth bum! I used cloth on my 2 from 5lb! Christopher only had small (not newborn nappies) so imagine the size of his bum... They went up to his armpits! With Emily I invested in some pre-loved newborn nappies but even so she still had a big bum at 5lb!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:19 am

I personally don't like the bulky bum look so have always gone for slimmish fitted nappies - Aaliyah was in newborn/xs nappies until about 12 weeks and is now in a combination of smalls/mediums x

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:47 am

Meant to say that vest extenders are good if you like snappy vests, but some places do sell vests without bottoms, so you don't need to snap underneath. I hate those vests!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat