hf1

Just converted to cloth and need some advice.

My avatar
Jakeysmum
Clothie
Clothie

Just converted to cloth and need some advice.

Postby Jakeysmum » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi everyone! :wave:
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I've just converted to cloth and am after some advice if you don't mind...
Ok, there is so much choice and I'm not 100% sure on what I need, so far I've brought 5 preloved nappies, 2 are pockets with removable inserts, 2 are pockets with sewn in inserts and the other is an itti Bitti delish..now I put LO in one earlier, and he peed so obviously insert got wet, but I then had to change the whole nappy, which is what I didn't want to do, I had hoped I could change just the insert and reuse the nappy. Is this not possible or am I doing something wrong?
Does anyone have any ideas on where best to start, any particular nappies work better? Will I need additional disposable liners also? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a serious newbie to this, Lol :shock:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Just converted to cloth and need some advice.

Postby Dora » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Is it an itti bitti d'lish snap in one (the insert comes out)? If so, I would try adjusting the fit. They go on tighter and a smaller fit than you'd think. I had my lo in one whilst travelling today and it easily did 4/5 hours. So persevere and try stripping the nappies also just in case a build up of detergent is stopping the absorbancy. Yes-liners are a good idea but using fleece is perfectly fine x ps. You'll need a lot more nappies for full-time use ;-)

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Pocket nappies are a one wear nappy so you need to change ever time if you want to re use the outers your looking for an all in 2 AI2 kind of nappy so an Itti SIO or g nappies or flip you can get some lovely wham ones as well. AI2's never worked for us though.

My avatar
Jakeysmum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Jakeysmum » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Dora, thanks for replying, the itti Bitti I have got is an AIO, with an extra mini booster, but that wasn't the one I had him in today, I put him in one if the pockets, I'm just having a look for some bamboo inserts to see if they hold anymore. Yeah I know, lol! I just brought a couple for now to see what worked for us, then I was planning in buying a lot more :)x

Kimmy - thank you! That is where I went wrong then. Pocket nappies seem very convinient, but I'm after ones which don't have to be changed fully at each nappy change. So the itti Bitti that I have is no good then? I have looked at gbappies but they seem expensive? I will look for flip and give those a try, thank you for your help.x

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 am

You can get the itti bitti.snap in one which is an outer shell that you can re use as long as there isn't any poo on it, you would need to buy more inserts though.

I ended up just using itti bitties and other all in two nappies (AI2) as single use ones because I couldn't be bothered with undoing the inserts etc.

My avatar
Jakeysmum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Jakeysmum » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:09 am

Thank you :) so the ones I can reuse are the itti Bitti SIO, or bum genius type? The others I need to change just like a disposable? What I wanted was to not have to carry around of nappies with me, so if we go down the 'pocket' route, it sounds like I'll still have to do that?

As I already have some of this kind, I will use them when in the house, so can you tell me what the best thing to stuff them with is please, for maximum absorbency? Also, do you know approx how many outer shells I would need for full time use, and is there a different insert for night time use? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks so much for your help.x

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:43 am

If you're carrying around the inserts, it's really not that much more to be carrying around the outers with the nappies already made up, which makes for easier changes. Plus, you could never guarantee that there wouldn't be a leak, so you'd need a spare outer anyway I'd think.

Not sure how old your child is, but I don't think you could get away with less than 15 nappies, and that'd be the absolute minimum, plus washing every day. I'd struggle with less than 20 tbh, but I know it can be done!

Nappy stuffing is a bit of trial and error cos it depends on nappy fit, level of wetting etc. Hemp and bamboo are very absorbant and hold loads of liquid (take a bit longer to dry) but absorbs relatively slowly, cotton is middle of the road in my experience, both at how fast it absorbs and how much it holds, and microfibre holds a fair bit and absorbs fast (dries very fast) but can squeeze back fluid if it's saturated.

I liked a hemp and microfibre combo best, but also used (for reasons of economy) cotton and microfibre, using cheap prefolds or terries, wrapped in microfibre cloths.

My avatar
paw foot
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby paw foot » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:46 am

I think the flip system would suit you well. The wrap is lovely and slim and the inserts are easy to replace and would be easy to store in your nappy bag. Unlike some systems I find I can reuse the flip wrap more, it seems to escape even bf poo.

My avatar
Jakeysmum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Jakeysmum » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:29 am

Thank you Twinkletoes, so it would be easier to use pocket types and just make sure I keep on top of the washing! I have only got 5 so far, with another one on the way, but I am watching some on eBay at the moment.
Jacob is 11 months now, so do you think that 15 will be enough for us? I currently change him (in disposables) about 5 times a day, excluding night times.

I have been looking at some Hemp and Bamboo inserts (again on eBay), as at the moment we only have the microfibre ones which came with the nappies, and he soaked it through after a couple of hours, and if possible, I'd like them to last a little bit longer.

Hi Paw Foot - I shall have a look for some flip nappies too, thank you. I guess trial and error with all different types is probably the way forward until we find one which works for us, it may be that I get on better with pockets, rather than fiddling with changing inserts, until we try, we won't know!
I have heard that gnappies are supposed to be quite good? I also need something that isn't too bulky, as my little one isn't the smallest of babies (23lbs) so don't want him to look too chunky :)

Also, can anyone tell me which nappies need wraps, and whether I actually 'need' them? You can tell I'm new can't you, bombarding you all with silly questions, you've all been really helpful though, so thank you :)
x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat