dh & newborn nappies

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

dh & newborn nappies

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:34 pm

Hello all,

Sorry it seems I only come on here to ask questions at the mo, and never to generally post, will try and get on here more I promise!

Well the 2 nights ago I showed dh the rough idea of the jo fold on the 40 x 40 bamboo square, and how to fasten a nippa etc etc.

Last night I found him a doll, gave him a refresher lesson on the fold and handed him all the bits and bobs. He managed to get a jo fold, fleece liner, nippa and wrap all on the doll - quite impressed really, even though I then held the doll and tucked all over hanging bits back in and I'm still only 18 weeks. (He knows me well and if he didn't do it properly the first time he would be doing it every night until the baby arrived :roll: )

Well my newborn nappy collection consists of 16 x bamboo squares (40 x40) , a popper bimble size 0, and 4 size 1 prefolds. 4 nb bummis wraps and 2 xs rikki. Dh seems to like the look of the bimble now as its easy to do, so I'm tempted to buy him some more. However I don't want to get any more newborn nappies due to the fact I have more than enough size 1's and onesizes.

So bascially my whole waffle is just asking the question at what week was your lo or both / all born and what was their birth weight?

I obviously don't know when / how / weight this little thing will be and to be honest a bulky (or bulkier) bum doesn't bother me so might just train him more on my size 1 little lambs and show him how to nippa the front down incase it comes out under 7 lbs and then I'll let him loose on the bumgenius later!

I'm holding off washing all my new nappy collection until the summer (when will it come?), although hasn't stopped me packing my newborn nappy bag, which only need the liners prewashed. But size 1's need a good wash and some of the new bg's.

By the way yet another ? - did you prewash your babies tiny clothes, I seem to have masses already, most of which I bought in the sales when I thought I was late or in the middle of the cycle ever hopeful that it would be that month. So that would be another load in itself.

Oh so exciting and worrying at the same time. - I would have my hospital bag packed already but dh told me its way to early - can't help being organsied.

Annette

Ps it looks like I already won the arguement of disps in hosp cloth at home we had about 10 weeks ago 8) - don't know if he will wash them, but will have bags sorted of about 10 nappies and enough wraps all lined up for him to grab and bring to me if needed in hospital.

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:43 pm

Hi Annette,

I pre-washed all the babies clothes/bedding before they were born. As for birth size expect the unexpected so far mine have been 2 weeks early 8 lbs 4, 1 week late 8lb 4, 10 days late 7 lb 2 1/2 and 13 days late 9 lb 8oz.

Ericax

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:19 pm

hi Annette, lovely to see you again! How many weeks are you now??

I too washed all my new baby stuff (dont' bother now!).

I loooooooved my Bimbles, I only had 3 but next time will get more, however I'll also be getting some terry squares too (was too scared this time!). TBH you can pick them up so cheap 2nd hand then get your money back so if you think dh will be better with them in those early months then I'd say get a few more. Louis was only 6lbs 12oz but put it on very fast and was out of them by around 3 months. However my 1st son was 8lbs 9oz and was around the same size as Louis by 3 months so would have been in them the same amount of time! Certainly for middle of the night changes they would be good too rather than the squares. I can remember what the say for BG's, is it 8lbs??

Look forward to hearing more about how its all going!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi Annette

Charlotte was 9 days late and weighed 7lbs 4oz. We actually started out with just Motherease Onesize and Rikki wraps and got on fine with them. No leaks or anything and the big bum didn't bother me in the slightest. The newborn stuff is lovely and I have a few ready for the next one but they do grow out of them so fast. Charlotte was into medium wraps at about 3 months.

Don't pack your hospital bag too early. I had it all packed at about 34 weeks and then discovered when we were in the hospital that the battery on my camera had run down in that time :shock: Luckily I had a camera on my phone, although looking back Mark would have had time to go home and get the charger :lol:

Annette

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Isaac was one day early and 9lb8... so you never know!

I've prewashed everything this time, and did last time as well, especially since I sometimes have reactions to clothes if I wear them before they've been washed.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Thank you for all your info.

I think I will stick with the nappies I have and dh will have to get the folding done if its small and I might not be the best at moving my body around.

Once 'it' hits 7lbs it has 30 size 1 little lambs and tots, at 8 lbs it then has an additional 13 bg's, 10 MEOS, 3 Swaddlebees OVOS and somewhere along the line 2 bumbles, 1 bambeasy, 2 fluffles size 2 and other emergency size 2 nappies and prefolds just incase I get behind with the washing and drying :o (no drier or radiators, just 1 storage heater)

Well I'm 19 weeks tomorrow, so either half way, past half way or another week and a bit to half way depending on when this thing comes out. I would like it to come a week or 2 early. Sounds like I am suffering being preg which is so not the case, I am loving it and still have hardly any symptoms. My bump hasn't grown at all in the last few weeks, but the baby has as we can now play 'find the baby' through my tummy - when its cooperating obviously. Still not felt or realised I have felt it move though, but it definately does - but always comes back to the same position after I have been in bed for a few minutes every night. Oh the reason I want it to come early is so I can have it here for longer before I return to work, and then all healing should nearly be complete to enjoy our first Christmas as a family.

Keep thinking I think I should start playing it some music too, as it will start to hear soon (my heart at the mo I belive, then soon my voice and outside sounds) as I think it found the sounds from a steel pan band relaxing as we were out yesterday and it was playing right by us all day.

Can't wait to let for it to come and share pics and stories.

Annette

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:44 pm

goodness me you are sooo organised!! Taneli was 7 days late and was 9lbs 4oz, Zacharia was 10 days early (planned C) and was 8lbs.
my mum has a theory that baby size goes thru the dad not the mum, so how big was your DH at birth? and you?

i also washed new baby things before use, but before Taneli was born i had only washed 3 vests and 3 babygros (my mum was gonna do the rest as soon as he was born ...were a little supersticious!!) and thank goodness i didn't wash them all, as Taneli never fit in all the newborn stuff, and as it was still in packets, i just returned it and swapped for 0-3.

must dash, Zacharia keeps whining!
Shevi

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Shevi, I sorted out the new baby clothes the other day, and in newborn size I only have 5 babygros and 3 bodysuits, I figured it can be swamped by the 0-3 if need be, it will never know!

Now in 0-3 we have lots more - 12 babygros and I think 13 bodysuits (was 8 but primark was cheap) then a little snowsuit,2x jacket, trousers and little hats, booties and those glove mitt things.

This is going to be known as the white / cream / beige baby as its not going to have any gender specific clothes until it gets presents :lol: and I go sale shopping in Dec / Jan - probably to buy it size 18months to see it through the next winter!

Found lurking in drawers that I have plenty of 3-6 month stuff as well - fleece snow suit, trousers and fleece, fleece all in one, about 15 bodysuits and about babygroes. Someone up above must have known we were eventually going to have a winter babe.

I think I just need to ask people for money or vouchers as I can't fit anymore toys or bedding and it doesn't need so many clothes!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat