Grand-parents' attitudes?

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Grand-parents attitudes?

Postby doobykat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 pm

stormflowers wrote:
willowherb wrote:My mum love the cloth nappies and is also impressed by how they are these days, but the only thing she moans about is how many i have saying i really dont need any more. I think she finally realised how many we have when she helped us move in July. they are all in Bubs room at the moment and when we were sorting it out she kept asking what was in this box/bag only to find it was more nappies :giggle:

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Am sure my mum thinks the same, & DH even more so :roll: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

My mum's always been very supportive of our use of cloth :thumbsup: She was initially a bit hesitant about the fit & even more so about the use of woollies as a waterproof cover but since looking after Erin (since my return to work) her confidence has grown & she'll quite happily use any of the various ones we have, 2 parters and pockets alike :widesmile:
She definitely favoured pockets over the summer, so she could "show off" Erin's pretty nappies while out & about :giggle:
My dad's (new) wife is also very pro cloth and was surprised but impressed when she found out that was the route we were taking.
My sister works for an environment agency down in Devon & is also very pro cloth. She's also had a go at changing Erin's nappies with some good results. So all in all, a pretty pro cloth family :yahoo:
The only person who's had anything negative to say is SIL who can't see why I bother & wanted to buy me some disposables for when we went to visit. Needless to say, I just took cloth nappies & a large wet bag with us & we were fine :wink:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 pm

My mum didn't like when I did prefolds with my eldest eight years ago (too fiddly and too many ways it can go on wrong) but loves my pockets now. She totally gets that it isn't like the terrys she used and with a modern washing maching it is easy. My MIL hates them but uses them. She has bought her own disposables and uses them at any excuse and totally refuses to use cloth wipes saying she doesn't like them for cleaning up poo (my youngest is a three poo a day boy so we all get plenty practice :giggle: ). I totally don't get that as I much much prefer cloth for that particular job and it infuriates me slightly as DS2's bum reacts to commercial wipes! Each to their own I suppose.

Oh yes and my mother saw the nappy tower that DS1 built for the treeolimpics (still to work out photos so never posted) and did rather raise her eyebrows!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Not read all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating!

My sister used fluffles before I used cloth for Martha. we both came to it in our own way as we're both fairly "green". My mum used terries on us both as I was actually potty trained before the 70s :oops: and one time when we were on holiday she bought disposables as a treat and ended up washing my terries in the hotel washing machines as they leaked everywhere. So she got it, and was actually quite smug that we both used cloth as if it was all her own doing :roll:

But that's another story!
!

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Site Supporter

Postby Scotia » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:30 am

northernruth wrote:I was actually potty trained before the 70s :oops:
!

Erm, me too :hohoho:

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:59 am

Rox wrote:Does she know how much they've changed over the years? I think the disposable element of nappies appeals to many and it is more 'the norm' now than cloth though opinions are slowly changing.

She happened to see a few of the pre-loved ones I bought - unfortunately the ones she saw first were very well used bumbles (serviceable, but not what you'd call decorative), so the question was: what are those grey things you've got?

So I showed her and she thought they weren't nice - and then I also showed some bright white, ex-demo bimbles, which arrived the same day, and her reaction was: Mmm. Bulky.

Maybe she'll think coloured bright bots terry squares / rainbow teenyfits are nicer?

I was almost as surprised as would have been if she'd suggested formula feeding :hohoho:

Not sure what MiL will think - I'm a cradle-snatcher, so her children were born in the 80s, and I don't know what she used. Might help that she probably feels less free to comment. OH is completely fine, btw - figures it'll be more me than him using them, and that they're both cheaper and greener. He's also had several years of seeing me using non-disposable sanpro.

My avatar
DebbieP
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Grand-parents' attitudes?

Postby DebbieP » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:16 pm

I was very surprised at how pro cloth both my mum and the inlaws were, they both quite love the stash I have built up!

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:02 pm

My mum thinks I'm nuts :giggle: she is really proud of the fact she hardly ever used terries on me as the first disposables came out just after I was born :hohoho:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:29 pm

My mum (who used sposies on me) thought I was crazy but now loves them. she looks after stink while im at work and loves showing off his fluffy bum at toddler groups :giggle:
MIL (who used terries on DH) tried to persuade SIL to use cloth when she was pregnant, but then when we said we were planning on using cloth we were crazy :roll:
Regardless of what either think, they use cloth on stink. We provide them with cloth, and i would go totally librarian poo if either of them used sposies on him!

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:25 pm

red_dwarf wrote:i would go totally librarian poo...!

:barflol: :barflol: :barflol:
I have some really crazy visions as to what this might involve!! :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat