hf1

Nursery not happy with cloth :(

My avatar
gillypoos
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Nursery not happy with cloth :(

Postby gillypoos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Smaths, I don't think the red marks are any big deal, they rubbed her a bit once but other than that, its no worse than red marks you get if you have worn smthg too tight. Hmm, she's moved up one room, therefore there is a higher ratio of babies to staff....I do wonder if they have alterior motives.....

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Im sorry but the idea her movement is restricted in cloth is unbelievable - how on earth did we all manage to get around then when we were babies!!

You should point out how beneficial to her hip development cloth is!

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:27 pm

My little man was sitting at 4.5 months old and walking at 10 months. He was in cloth full time from 5 weeks old so that excuse is rubbish. He's also had far more rashes in disposables than cloth (currently using sposies). Eddie also get red marks from night nappies as he lies in the fetal position on his front so ends up with a lot of pressure around the front of his thighs. He is completely unbothered by the marks and they clear quickly. They are no different to the marks that my socks leave when I pull them up super high in winter :giggle:

You child, your choice. I would be making a fuss.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm shocked! And impressed at you keeping your temper!

I would ask to go in and sit to discuss this with them. It is absolutely unacceptable for them to reject and override a parenting decision that is YOURS to make.

Cloth is better for mobility as it maintains a healthier hip position! It's also better for learning to walk as it means a padded landing. At 20 months I imagine she is already plenty mobile! And even if not, it's STILL your call. I personally have issues with tinies in denim as I feel that restricts movement and comfort. Would be ludicrous to suggest that I could force a parent to not use them on their kid though!

Oh, I'm hopping mad for you. Keep us posted!

(Women's Environmental Network used to be good for background and legal stuff on this sort of thing I think.)

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:16 pm

http://www.plushpants.com/details/Washable%20Nappies/subcat/Childcare%20and%20cloth%20nappies/extra_cat/Information%20and%20Advice.html
They seem to think it is under the equal opertunities regulations, that they cannot discriminate against you for using cloth over sposies

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:43 am

I'm not sure of the legal position, a friend of mine discoubted one nursery from her list because they refuse point blank to do cloth. However the fact that have been using cloth already makes them on shaky ground to suggest they cant now.

My DH was told by nursery that they may have been delaying ben's walking but i think it was rubbish, much worse when people stick babies and toddlers in tight trousers @twinkletoes i so agree!!

It's sad that our nursery had a few in cloth when ben joined (he's nearly 4 now) but when elizabeth started this year they hadnt had any babies since Ben, so they chuckled a bit about them but no issue at all.

I hate these issues with nurseries, but suggest a meeting with them, rather than a quick chat at the beginning/end of the day is required

Xxx

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:08 am

:evil: Its very wrong of them to point blank refuse to use them!

However, and I dont want to get shot for this :hiding: as childcarer it is very hard/difficult if a parent asks you to do something you dont understand. I would be looking at where the problem is, you say she has moved to a different room, so I'm guessing its someone else doing the nappy changes? Maybe this person needs training in changing cloth, you could offer to show them? Does she have lots of leakages/full changes of clothes situations that are upsetting them? Maybe you could add extra boosting to make nappies last longer/ tell them to change nappies sooner? Do you use paper liners, maybe this would help them?

Personally I wouldn't be pleased if someone sent a child to me in pockets, I've just never been able to get on with them and always used fitteds. I would give them a go though and even offer to use mine if needed! Maybe the nappies which work for you, dont work for them? We all have our preffereances.

I hope the situation can be resolved. :hug:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:15 am

I think all the ladies above have very valid points, but i would want to know who exactly has a problem with it? his key person? room leader? manager? do lots of people change the nappies or just his key person? the person looking after your childneeds to be comfotable and confident with them, so maybe a teaching session? we stoped using them at our child minders as she just couldnt get the hang of them despite lots of explanations etc she didnt refuse but dd came home with endless damp clothes due to leakage where she didnt get them on right!

What i mean is, you may be able to legal refuse to have him in sposies, but do you want to have sort of relationship with the carers of your child? do you want them to be the sort of people that confront you in what sounds like a v ery aggressive. obsinent way? not sure id be happy with my child in an institution like that...

My avatar
gillypoos
Clothie
Clothie

Postby gillypoos » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks again everyone for your support. She does have paper liners, the nappies are boosted etc. tomorrow is first day back at nursery since I was told last week. So I will go and arrange a chat..... Wish me luck! X

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat