Latest washable nappies report

My avatar
Kaska
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Latest washable nappies report

Postby Kaska » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi,
I am not sure if you have seen it already but it worth to now that they have notice they "mistake". DEFRA/EA's follow-up report on the relative environmental impact of washable/disposable nappies has come out in favour of washables (they scored poorly in the 2005 study because it assumed they were washed at high temperatures and tumble-dried). However the Sunday Times has reported that the government is hushing this up because of the 'negative' laundry message (ie people won't want to follow these guidelines).

See WRAP's take below... 8-)

Washable Nappies Are Best for the Environment

Real nappies are up to 40% better for the environment than disposables; a new report from the government has stated today.

The key finding of the report shows that the environmental benefits are achieved by following simple washing guidelines like:

¡ avoiding tumble drying nappies,
¡ using A-rated appliances and
¡ washing in full loads at no more than 60 degrees

These are all measures recommended by nappy manufacturers and commonly used by parents .

The report highlights that unlike disposables, washable nappies put parents in control of the impact they have on the environment.

Parents using real nappies will also be financially better off. It has long been known that real nappies save parents hundreds of pounds and now this advice on washing methods, which are supported and promoted by the Real Nappy Campaign, will help reduce fuel bills too. The savings in costs and for the environment are even better when real nappies are used on a second child as many families do.

Laura Smith, mum to 8 month old Conner said:
“We already wash all the family laundry at lower temperatures and don’t use a tumble drier. With increasing energy bills I think more people are opting for energy efficient washing options and we’re delighted that this report backs up our decision to use washable nappies.”

An additional concern caused by disposable nappy use, is the pressure on UK landfill sites from the disposal of 690,000 tonnes of nappy waste each year; most of which are landfilled. This issue is not covered by the newly published report yet is still a major concern for consumers and only confirms the environmental benefits of using washable nappies.

Jon Rolls of the Real Nappy Campaign stated:
“The findings of this report will confirm what many real nappy users already felt to be true; they will also alleviate the confusion caused by the earlier Environment Agency report. The clear message to parents is that by using washable nappies sensibly they are opting for the most environmentally friendly nappy option, and saving themselves money. Washable nappies in all shapes, sizes and designs are readily available through independent, online and high street retailers”

Jon Rolls added:
The Real Nappy Campaign clearly has an important ongoing role in continuing the promotion of washable nappies, as well as providing information on how to ensure their environmental impact is minimised. We recognise that real nappy users occasionally find it convenient to use disposable nappies too and we are pleased to see that disposable manufacturers recognise the need to improve the environmental impact of their products. Given the outcome of this report we look forward to constructive dialogue with the disposable industry about how we can help to further reduce the impact of disposables.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Latest washable nappies report

Postby Annette » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Yes, I posted this the other day, it is brill isn't it :D

My avatar
Kaska
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Kaska » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Sorry.I just get the email today and was so exceited...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:09 am

Kaska wrote:Sorry.I just get the email today and was so exceited...

Quite right to be excited too!! :)

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat