Best way for long travel

My avatar
myrafication
Clothie
Clothie

Best way for long travel

Postby myrafication » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi everyone!

As it turns out I'm due for a 18 hour flight (2 flights with stopover total duration) quite soon, first time mum so a little nervous bringing 3 month old son on board (which people tell me is a good age because he's not moving around yet lol)

I was wondering options for diapering during the journey and of course during our stay. We will be visiting family so the washing machine wont be ours but im trying to find cloth options that can work with everyone.

There are the Flip disposable inserts of course - expensive option! so thinking of using them for either day or night time only to give his skin a break. He sometimes break out in a rash, but its more of the chemicals bother me most.
Considering prefolds as they are visually less diaper looking so maybe it wont disturb minds as much?

Any input appreciated! We're going away for about 3 weeks n travelling around then too

been wondering about soiled cloth diapers going through security too! looool

Thank you in advance!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Best way for long travel

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

I've done all ways.

On our first visit home back to Oz with the twins I took cloth with us, but did dispo's on the flight.
Second visit home I did disposables
Third visit home i did pull ups for the flight and at night
Fourth visit with Lola I did disposables all the way!

Maybe that progress tells you something but in all honesty a 18 hour flight IMO is not feasible for cloth. theres a few reasons. 1. storage that means another big bag that needs to go on board, and where there isn't much room as it is, why make like more difficult. 2. you HAVE to plan for delays etc, so would need to take at least 12 hours more nappies. Thats a lot of stuff to take on board with you and cart around.

As for the security guards if they want to inspect your poopy nappies let them! thats their business.

But honestly i love using cloth, i wouldn't change it for anything but there are times when its a case of why make like harder than it is. Now using cloth isn't hard, but travelling with a baby on a 18hr flight isn't easy.

As for the time away, if you can keep up with the washing, and whoever your staying with won't mind, then go for it. But it will add up to a fair chuck of luggage.

But I would take a 3 week break and look forward to it when you come back. It can be done, I've done it with twins, but wouldn't do it again.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm

WHen my LO was in nappies I did a combination of cloth and disposables when we went away - that way I had less bulk to transport for the cloth but also it meant that she didn't have to be in disposables all the time. I think I would be inclined to use disposalbles on an 18 hour flight just because of the bulk, you will have enough other clobber to take as it is

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

As the others have said really- I've flown UK to Australia with DS in nappies twice - once at 9 weeks and then again at two and a bit. Both times I took a break from our beloved cloth and went sposies on the plane and on holidays. They just take up too much luggage space and I wanted a holiday from the washing too!

If you wanted to use cloth while away and flat nappies or prefolds work for you I'd use them as they take up less space and dry fast.

My avatar
myrafication
Clothie
Clothie

Postby myrafication » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm

thanx very much ladies - knew it was more practical with disposables but couldnt give up my beloved cloth without a try lol. especially when i'm starting to get the hang of it too!

i do think i'll bring few wraps n prefolds just in case <----- :hohoho:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:22 pm

I agree, use dispos for the flight and then mix when you are there. I've always mixed cloth & dispos on hols, depending on what we were doing each day. If you have access ot a machine it doesn't make washing them a chore like it woulod if you had to hand wash or something!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat