hf1

New mum, new to nappies - please help!

My avatar
CupcakeMummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: New mum, new to nappies - please help!

Postby CupcakeMummy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Liz :wave:

Welcome and congrats!

I'm a first time mummy - due in May - and excited to use cloth on our little girl.

I have an embarassingly huge stash, as I started buyuing when we stated TTC and it took us over a year to concieve!

The classifieds on here are great, I found there were better deals and nicer products than on eBay etc.

What I've done is sort of collect a spread of different brands/styles so we can have a play about.

So far my favourites (only going by feel and how they fit my teddy bear) are Motherease Bamboo Sandies, I think they're going to be lovely and soft and comfy on a baby - of course I could be wrong.

I also have a bamboozle stretch and a bamboo Little Lamb, and a whole mix of other bits and bobs. Will happily show you my stash if you want a nosey (and don't mind the tons of photos!)

As for wipes we're going to do cloth too, I liked hte look of the cheeky kit, but I had some nice soft fabric and fleece to use up, so have sewed a ton myself, and bought some delicious smelling CJs Butter cleanser to use in a wipe solution.

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Liz_Mossum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks Cupcakemummy.
Congrats to you too! Would love to see your stash :)

I like the look of the kit, but have quite a few really good shut tight tupperwares, and my own oils anyway, so thinking about just buying wipes, as the wipes would go in a used nappy bag anyway when out and about. Not sure yet. Have heard about CJs butter cleanser - what does it smell like?

My first lot of nappies arrived today and can understand why it becomes addictive! They are so cute it's unreal. It's the teenfit, easyfit and stretchie and a wrap.

Why do people take out the inserts for newborns? Is it just to make it less bulky? Do newborns not wee as much?
Also wondering how you know when a baby needs changing or if you just do it after every feed?

Going to try BG Freetime, but see they have a newborn one as well and wondering which is better to get.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Personally I love little lamb bamboo with fleece liners I also have OWW and dunk and fluff we use wool. It's not the squeaky acrylic that is common it's super soft natural wool which doesn't have the icky texture. I would get a variety to try . Don.t rate cotton wipes myself much prefer bamboo. Also not had any problems with meconium at all I would recommend cloth from birth :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:42 pm

My newborn pees a lot :giggle: I change as soon as he oops which iusually hear ! Or every 2-3 hours booster adds bulk but you might need it for absorbency

My avatar
CupcakeMummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby CupcakeMummy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Liz_Mossum wrote:Thanks Cupcakemummy.
Congrats to you too! Would love to see your stash :)

I like the look of the kit, but have quite a few really good shut tight tupperwares, and my own oils anyway, so thinking about just buying wipes, as the wipes would go in a used nappy bag anyway when out and about. Not sure yet. Have heard about CJs butter cleanser - what does it smell like?

Yeah - my thinking was that the wipes would be going in the nappy bag/pail anyway and I have decorated a pampers wipes box which I'll use for our clean wipes:

The CJs smell amazing!! My favourite is My Pixie Pie, so I have loads of bits in that flavour.

I ordered the little sample pots of like 5 flavours to try. Lots of websites have those. I picked the few that sounded most up my street, and then narrowed my choice down from there. :)

I also figure if the wipes smell tasty, they might make my wetbags/pail smell a bit nicer too!

My avatar
CupcakeMummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby CupcakeMummy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm

This is my embarrassingly large NB-Small stash.

From left to right I have:

4 XS/NB wraps - 2 one life, a TB (came in the £23 starter pack offer) and an adorable Rumparooz.

A Diddy diaper, a Motherease Bamboo Sandy XS (I have a couple in small too) an an owly pre-fitted I sewed.

2 babeco bamboo/hemp fitteds and a TB Stretchie size 1 (got another somewhere....)

2 TB teenyfits and 2 Itti Bitti D'Lish

4 Bumgenius XS - I got the green preloved and then last week BabaMe had 3 for £10 on the pink so I couldn't resist.

Xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 pm

@CupcakeMummy wow wow wow that decorated p%*mpers box is just fantastic!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

And I wouldn't say that your collection is that large, you may find you need more once baby is here and you know what you like ;)

Lots of fantastic info, loving this thread!! :love:

My avatar
CupcakeMummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby CupcakeMummy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Awwww. Thanks @clothmama :) I'm pleased with it.

I struggle to find the wipes boxes now but if I see them I'll happily make you one (you'll just need to cover cost of box & fabric etc.)

That's just the NB part of my stash. My larger sizes and BTP make it pretty mega.

When the nursery is finished I think I might do a Vlog as I love watching them. So if I do I'll share it and you can see the full extent of my pre-baby cloth addiction! Lol.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm

I really rated diddy daipers for mine when they were teeny. I got spooked with dd1 and didn't cloth straight away but dd2 went straight into cloth at the hospital. We also had a few size 0 bimbles which are so cute (for dd2 her first nappy was one of these). I love ll bamboo, we had a fair few tots old style bamboozles (v similar to the ll), also xs Oh Woa When/ Green panda are nice too. I'm a woolie convert with a phobia of acrylic. There is no similarity though proper wool is totally lush!
Congratulations and enjoy fluff shopping.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat