New mum, new to nappies - please help!

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

New mum, new to nappies - please help!

Postby Liz_Mossum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Hello everyone :wave:

I'm expecting in June and want to use cloth nappies, but not sure what will be best for us. Regardless of what we go with, I think we'd like advice on what to choose for a trial as well, so that we don't go and buy a load of things that don't work for us.

This board seems very helpful and knowledgeable, so hoping somebody can take the time to offer some much needed advice. I did contact the nappylady, but I wasn't sure if she advised on all products or just the selection on her site and so thought it a good idea to speak to people using all different sorts of nappies.

Cost is not an issue. Also not bothered about aesthetics.
The most important thing for us will be reliability - a system that doesn't leak. I've heard that two part systems are more reliable, but don't know how true this to be. The other consideration is what is gentle on our baby's skin and wondered if cloth/reusable liners would therefore be better than paper?

Would like to use cloth from birth ideally. My Husband and I both have sensitive skin, so are drawn towards Bamboo as we've heard lots of positive things. The nappylady recommended the following:

Bucket @ £9.00
Nappy Mesh @£4.00
Nappies – 4-10 Bamboozle stretch size 1 (6-18lbs) @ £10.99 (for very slim newborn nappy)
Nappies – 10-15 Bamboozle stretch size 2 (9-40lbs) Aplix @ £11.99 (birth to potty option)
Wraps –3/4 Motherease Rikki wraps med (10-20lbs) @ £9.25
Boosters – 6 Triple layer boosters @ £9.00
Not included in the total price Liners – Ultra liners 100 a roll (flushable) pack of 3@£9.99
Optional and not included in the total price-Washable Wipes 40 (full time use) @£24.00
Optional and not included in the total price-Vest Extenders 3 @ £5.99

As it's all so new to me I have no idea what is essential. Happy to buy things second hand, providing they would still offer the same level of absorbency.

I do like the look of the Bamboozle stretchies, but they're the only ones that I've really looked at.
Was this stuff such a minefield for everyone in the beginning?

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: New mum, new to nappies - please help!

Postby usinukveg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi there! Welcome :) I'm sure that you'll get lots of help from everyone around :)

I hate to make things even more confusing, but every baby is quite different, so it's hard to say exactly what will work and what won't. That mix would really not have worked for us though, Liam was too skinny! I definitely agree that the two part system, fitted+wrap is best at holding stuff in. I think I would recommend Little Lamb brand of fitted bamboo nappies over bamboozles, but other people might tell you something different.

On wraps, medium sized Motherease are our current dream wrap (2 years old), but when Liam was born, the leg gussets didn't fit properly at all (on the size small) and those lovely liquid poos just leaked right out. I can't imagine why she'd recommend you buy medium wraps for a new born. We had much better luck with thirsties (but not duo...will be using duo on the new baby, hoping it will work!)

Liners: we used homemade fleece liners; just chopped up some mid quality fleece into the rectangles (I tried to use a pound shop fleece blanket, but the fleece was too thin and just bunched up). I found the little lambs fleece liners beyond useless and now use them as wipes. They're very soft, but poo just clings to them!

Anyway, I hope that you find the magical nappy combination that works for you!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm

I prefer bamboozles over little lambs and ll liners, not paper! Wraps, i Llike totsbots and nature babies. The bucket you could get cheaper in wilkos, mesh is not really necessary. Tbh, id try a few with good recommendations, maybe 2 or 3 of each and see what suits. You cansell on if you don't like them. I found it really hard at first to get the hang of everything, just got to try it and see! Maybe find out if yiyr council do a trial kit or voucher system.

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Liz_Mossum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed reply - will look at the Little Lamb bamboo nappies too now.

Oops, did Nappylady a disservice, sorry.
She said this:
This is based on using nappies full time once baby is approx 10lbs. If you would like to start before, you will need the early days hire kit 6 wraps@£30.00 or to buy 5 Motherease Small Wraps £52.

Feel bad now.

I completely get what you mean about each baby being different. That has made pretty much every decision difficult and I'm a real planner so it's not easy for me! Sleeping arranging, feeding, nappies etc I guess will be different each time and so it's fairly hard to plan, but I feel less stressed when I have a plan :D

I've actually ordered the Tots Bots trial pack that was recommended on here for around £23, which contains the bamboozle stretch as well as others. I also have Amazon Prime, so I can order (or Hubby can!) things to get here quickly.

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Liz_Mossum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks Ems. That's a good idea of trialling a few. Council don't do anything sadly. Will keep looking out for other trials like the tots bots one and go with a few and then I'll have a variety.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm

totsbots trial kits are fab. i actually ordered 3 using the offer code (so £23 each). thought they would question it but nope just sent me all 3.

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Liz_Mossum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Haha, great minds - was considering doing the same, as totalled up approximate cost of buying each item and it was really good value.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Real nappy week is coming up soon , usually a great time to buy!

Bamboo, hemp or zorb boosters are also a must to have, not sure whAt the ones the happy lady are made of

My avatar
Liz_Mossum
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Liz_Mossum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks Ems, think she does a few varieties, of which bamboo is one. Will keep an eye out for offers with real nappy week.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat