Not getting the boy cloth thing :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Not getting the boy cloth thing :(

Postby clothmama » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:27 pm

I do get what you are saying, hence the part of my heart that wants another baby so I can have a girl and buy pretty nappies :hohoho:

I had a lot of workhorse nappies like fuzzis then some cute spot Blueberries as well as a few wahm ones and wahm covers. To show them off I'd use a tshirt and baby-legs :D

My 2 faves in terms of looks were a gorgeous pirate one I got in a swap and a Genesas Forge bumble bee one that was also in a swap (thanks @soupdragon and @mabo :giggle: )

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 pm

I quite like the look of the lion's mane type ruffled nappies I've seen recently for boys, but they're impractical I think. Normal nappies are bad enough to get trousers to fit properly over, ruffly ones must be even worse. It's not so bad for girls as you can just throw a skirt over the top.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I've completely lost the nappy love, Otis mainly has plain nappies like Bumgenius and Easyfits, I think it's been at least a year since I last bought one...

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I'd stick two fingers up to gender stereotypes! (In fact I did with my son both regarding nappies and outer clothes, he's the most colourful boy I know, no grey here!). Just think of the nappies as for you! You're the one putting them on and seeing them when you change him. Noone generally sees what's on your baby's bottom as they usually wear clothes over the top, and who decided pink, flowers etc were for girls anyway? In the 17th century pink was traditionally for boys. I'd just use the nappies that you like, regardless of whether or not they're boyish, you're not a boy! My baby never once complains, and still now at 2 and a half doesn't care a bit about wearing a pink nappy or pair of trousers. It might feel a bit awkward going against the grain of society at first but once you take the first step it really feels quite fantastic. The colour gender stereotype is just another string to the bow of sexism imo and the more people that disregard these silly ideas, the less the stereotypes will matter. (I've totally gone off on a tangent but you get the idea).

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Very well said @Rufies mama

Its lovely seeing boys in brights and its true - no one sees their bum but you. I have pink bgs which James will wear when i fix them. He wears Jen's purple snow suit, but other than that quite boring blues and grey hand me downs!

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:51 pm

DP wouldn't go for pink for him, not sure I'm convinced either :lookround:

I'm going to look at getting some nice bv fitteds, then once we're out of smalls going for bg's and the other workhorse nappies that worked well for us with George :D

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 pm

I suppose the main thing is that I'm not seeing the point in spending lots on fancy nappies when they will be covered with trousers, was different for G when we showed off her fancy fluff with little dresses :giggle:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:00 pm

That was what I never got. I had a few pretties and they were great for running round the garden in nothing but a nappy in the summer, nut generally, yep, everything is covered up.

Never got the pretty fitteds thing at all, only pockets for us.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat