5%

Total votes : 22
My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Should I just give in and use disps?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 am

OK, some of you know our long awaited holiday to the US is coming up (flying on the 24th Nov) We are staying the night before in an airport hotel, have a 9 or so hour flight and staying with friends who own a washing machine and tumble drier.

Now I am in a major dilema, I was planning on using our normal nappies for the flight (super realiable etc etc) and just taking any wet ones from Sunday in hold luggage and then washing them when we get there. However I am starting to worry about exactly how many nappies I might be trying to take (in the region of 20 day, 2 night) and how I am going to fit everything into our luggage coming home.

I was also thinking I would probably like a holiday from washing, worried about blocking their plumbing with his liners and what about all their elec usage? And just working out how to use their washing machine.

I don't even know what nappy size he would be in right now and the last time he wore a disposable it was a hospital supplied prem and then a normal newborn size in an incubator. (but we do have probably enough open packets from childminded kids now toilet trained lying around that I wouldn't have to buy anything)

So what should I do. I don't think a taking a combination would work, so I am really torn :?

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Should I just give in and use disps?

Postby Joaninha » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:56 am

I voted yes :oops: :roll: but just because, as you say, you could get a holiday from washing, and sposies are the kind of supply that you can get when you arrive, ie you don't have to carry. And I do understand the concern about landfill, and the like, but you are going on holiday!!!!! it is just for a shor while... and think of the extra space you have in case you stumble across any great fluff while there... :twisted: :D :wink:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:02 am

I do have some fluff already waiting (4 blueberry wraps) and a mountain of fisher price toys and a mountain of cake tins and icing stuff, duplo, a large wheelybug, p&t accessories and I can't actually remember anything else right now :oops:

See I am worried about fluff going missing, and being stopped by customs for having a strange smelling bag.

Not too sure if I know how to use a disposable now!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 am

I voted yes too :D

there IS a place in the world for disps, and this is it imo. YOU need a holiday too hun >:D< at the end of the day if you miss using cloth you could pop some of your new ones on him while you are there :wine:

and you use a disp in the same way you would a bum genius :wink: :wink:

It sounds as if you are going to be coming back with more than enough stuff as it is :D

and... if it eases the guilt a little, at least you aren't adding to UK landfill :shock: :wink: :oops:

jan x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:49 am

I suprised myself by voting yes too ;)

I'm sure your bag will smell even stranger filled with disps!! :lol:

I think with all the hassle that goes with catching a plane you need one less thing to worry about...
Just make sure you take a small supply with you - arrange to have some waiting when you get there too...

His clothes might not fit as well (trousers fall down!!) and his bum will feel VERY strange when you pick him up!! BUT I think for a holiday so far away I would be tempted to use disps too... :?

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 am

I'd just go with dispos Annette. I used them when we went away and I think there is a place for them. I use cloth when I've been away over here but I wouldn't take them abroad.

The very fact that you've deliberated over this so much shows how much you'd love to use them and I wouldn't feel guilty, enjoy your holiday and the lovely fluff you are brining home.

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:24 am

when we went to cyprus for 2 weeks in the summer i used disposies on the journeys as they were over 2 days for us and then took my nappy collection and used them in the villa when there- however they did take up most of my suitcase! As sam was in and out of pool etc we used them alot faster than otherwise- also spend some of my hols washing and drying :evil: :evil: however love his cute bum in all the photos now so was worth it :mrgreen: but we did not buy anything.

we are going to disneyland paris in 10 days and i am going to have to put sam in disposies as i can see no other option :cry: apart from the trip to cyprus and in SCBU sam has never been in disposies so not sure of size.
after all that voted yes!

you could take a few favorites and use if needed! I would as would be desperate to try those new wraps :mrgreen:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:12 am

I voted yes too. When we went to Turkey a few weeks ago we used sposies which I absolutely loathe but when we came back and put her back into her cloth I fell in love with cloth all over again. It's nice to have a break from the washing too.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 am

Have a holiday Annette :wink:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat