hf1

Other ethical considerations

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Other ethical considerations

Postby ems101 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:25 am

We and others on here have recently tried 'A mama knows best' nappies. They are bamboo velour fitteds with a semi waterproof layer negating the need for a wrap for light use. They are on sale at £6,50 a nappy, not much more than half the cost of comparable nappies. Im planning to write a review, as i found them very good nappies, and very affordable with excellent CS. But I did wonder why they were so cheap. I asked and they do make their nappies in China - 'a family business' apparently. Sounds good, but not sure what that really means. So carbon foot print wise, maybe these nappies are not so good, but when do they become worse, environmentally than sposies? How would one find out how ethically they are made? Working conditions? sourcing of materials etc?

Do you take into consideration the behind the scenes of the nappy?

Lots of people on here buy wahm nappies, so we are assured that the nappy is ethically made, but how about the materials? I accept that cheap products or products made abroad are not necessarily less ethical, but how do we find out??!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Other ethical considerations

Postby Dora » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 am

Well i think even if made in china-not that i condone it-they cant be 'worse' than disposables because they are reused and not put within a landfill site.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm

I kind of think you could go around in circles trying to compare which is more ethical/less footprint.

But I do think that any 'family business' in China is not necessarily the same as a family business here. and is more likely a hundred vaugley related people all working in a factory.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 pm

As far as I am aware might be guessing but pretty much all bamboo is from China so that's most nappies !

Wondered why they were so cheap I thought they were Wahm nappies

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm

That would be a huge time intesnive job Emily. I can see your thinking though. The majority of fabrics that make our nappies probably come from China. I take comfort in the fact that we are not adding to landfills and are being kinder to babies skin.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby ems101 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Shaunie wrote:That would be a huge time intesnive job Emily. I can see your thinking though. The majority of fabrics that make our nappies probably come from China. I take comfort in the fact that we are not adding to landfills and are being kinder to babies skin.

Goodness, Im not thinking of donning my detective hat and finding out the answers to all these questions!! I just wondered if people do or should take it into consideration when buying?

Would you pay £12 for a totsbots bamboo fitted where they are quite transparent about their sourcing and carbon footbrint, and maufacturing in the UK or would you buy a MKB nappy for £6.50 but know that they have been flown from china and uncertain of their manufacturing conditions.

Would you make an effort to find out?

Just ponderances, rather than palns of actions :)

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 pm

I think knowing what I know about the fact that pretty much the majority of fabric comes from china I'm not so worried about the carbon footprint in those terms, infact a whole nappy comoing over is as bad a s reams opf fabric I suppose.
I would rather buy from a wahm but funds are tight and these nappies really do work well.
I think I would taske it into consideration but also think that the fact that I will either pass on or resell most of my nappies meams rthat in reality their carbon footprint reduces in line with that :)

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

my reasons for using cloth are probably quite superficial, i don't want a wheelie bin full of dirty sposies and i didn't like the thought of hundreds of nappies in landfill. Therefore i don't really consider carbon footprints etc, i don't consider it when buying any of mine or my families clothes either.

I have quite a few amk nappies and it does say on the facebook page that they are imported from china. not a problem for me as nearly all of the fabrics come from china anyway as does most high street clothing, toys etc. in fact i reckon 50% of the things in my home come from china or similar asian countries.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 pm

TBH it never crosses my mind when buying nappies but other than AMK nappies, I have never bought the real cheap ebay nappies from China but that's more to do with quality than anything. I sorry to say it's not something I question either.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat