Night Nappies for side sleepers

My avatar
wordshandsheart
Clothie
Clothie

Night Nappies for side sleepers

Postby wordshandsheart » Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone else have a heavy wetting side sleeper? What night nappy combinations have you found that work for you?

My 6 month old boy co-sleeps with me and whilst he used to roll back onto his back after a feed he now seems to prefer sleeping on his side! Cue lots of leaks.

We used WNNN with wool with no issues before, but recently I've had to take the extra booster out and wrap it round the sides of the nappy to stop leaks, which is a bit fiddly. We also used to be able to use Lollipop bamboo nappies boosted with a bamboo booster inside and hemp round the outside, but that leaks at the sides too now! Two terries on top of each other in the kite fold don't leak wee often, but are very bulky and rarely contain the morning pooplosion and we've also found bambooty night nappies unreliable.

I've found the only way to stop leaks is to boost at the sides of a WNNN with a hemp booster or tie a terry nappy over the top of any fitted nappy, but I'd love to find a nappy combination that isn't quite so fiddly. I prefer fleece lined nappies which is why I'm dissapointed my WNNN are no longer reliable.

New to these forums but have posted on other cloth forums for a while, but haven't been able to find any solution to this issue there! x

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Night Nappies for side sleepers

Postby bubbaloo » Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 am

Hi, forgive me if I make suggestions you have already tried.

Are you using conditioner..which can be a repellant or perhaps bum creams that prevent wee really soaking in?

I found that if I boosted too much it would create a tiny gap around the legs where the wee would leak, so like you I would boost outside so it was tighter around the thighs.

I found Holdens Landing Bedbugs the very best nappies as they are superabsorbent and so soft. He looked like a chicken with the big nappy on but I found them the very best...all bamboo with my own fleece layer on top or you can get them with a fleece layer sewn on.

I used wool wraps with poppers on to get a snug fit...or longies. They wouldnt leak at all.

Mine was such a heavy wetter I got used to changing him in the night before a feed or after a feed.

Hope this helps a little.

Rita x

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:10 pm

We had this problem with a previous version of WNNN and our son about 3 years ago. A boosted bamboo sandy was the answer as there wasn't the leg gape and the serged legs must have helped. I always boost between the nappy and wrap rather than in the nappy.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 am

@wordshandsheart Try playing with your boosting, you can put boosters over the hip if the urine is running to the side and causing leaking as there isn't much absorbency there. As PP said boosting on the outside can change things too. Hemp and bamboo are both great boosters overnight. I would always put in too many boosters in different places to make my night nappies cope then pare back until I found the right combos :) hths

My avatar
mrsAnn
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mrsAnn » Thu May 09, 2013 2:35 pm

I find it quite practical to use disposable at night time and reusable day time and at home.

My avatar
wordshandsheart
Clothie
Clothie

Postby wordshandsheart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 am

Just thought I'd post an update on this. Had to give up on WNNN altogether because of the leg gape - its not an absorbancy issue its fit with these for us. He's just too skinny!

Boosting Lollipops at the hips by putting an extra bamboo booster round the outside solved the other issues. Also I bought a LLS nappy preloved whcih was amazing and a perfect fit! That under wool was always reliable.

He's become less of a heavy wetter now he's 7 months and weaning's well under way though and he has fewer night feeds so we're back to being able to use bambooty nappies at night too. :)

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 am

Glad you found a solution! :thumbsup: And LLS nappies are fab - I can't wait for my LO to grow into the ones I have.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat