Babies wont lie for nappy change!

My avatar
ljpops
Clothie
Clothie

Babies wont lie for nappy change!

Postby ljpops » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to this site and to cloth nappies. I have 11 month old twins and they have recently started to go nuts every time I change them - they want to roll and crawl off and fight me all the way. I am about to receive some Smartipants and was really looking forward to trying cloth nappies, but it has occurred to me that it might be very difficult to get them on and fasten the poppers. I am expecting to need to change them a bit more frequently too, but don't fancy having these battles more often!

Do you have any tips to share if you have experienced something similar? I really want cloth nappies to work for us.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Babies wont lie for nappy change!

Postby sim » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:10 pm

With my oldest I kept a couple of engaging toys just for nappy changes - handed him the toy and then do a lightening fast nappy change.

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Yes, I also had a stash of change time toys which worked most of the time and of course the singing of silly songs helps too. With my eldest I actually perfected the art of putting the clean nappy on whilst I had him sat astride my knee like sitting on a horse (it doesn't say in the rule book that nappy changes have to be lying down :giggle: ). It is actually amazing how fast you find you are able to get those poppers done up with just a tiny bit of practice. It was also something that happened in phases with both of mine so it will probably settle down again in a while.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 pm

It was, and still is, something that happens in phases. Isaac has now learnt to lift his bottom up so we play that game with relevant applause so he thinks it is fun. Before that we perfected the pin-him-down-with-your-leg move...

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm all for the pin them to the floor with the leg move too and get it done quick! :giggle:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:30 pm

The leg move was a firm favourite before we got a Rabbitts changing mat, which was fab. Rolled up sellotape (for bubs to play with, not to hold them down ;)) was also a nice distracter - the endless joy of it being stuck to one hand and then the other. :hohoho:

My avatar
Johanna21
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Johanna21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 pm

I went through that stage too. It feels like it lasts for ever but it settles down quite quickly - honestly! I went for a combination of pinning him down and distraction. Something they're usually not allowed to have (I used his sister's toys :giggle: ) is a good distraction.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:19 am

I'll have a search I'm the mooring but dh stuck some toys onto a baseball cap when my twins went through the same phase. When I had it on the toys were just within reach and kept them amused and my hands free

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 am

My oldest was a complete nightmare, he used to bite, kick, scream, pinch. It was a 2 man job as he is so strong. We find changing cloth easier as the nappies are stronger. We pulled so many tabs off sposies. Once you know which poppers you need to fasten then you'll be fine.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat