hf1

Has anyone tried silk or silver nappy liners?

My avatar
PoppyPainting
Clothie
Clothie

Has anyone tried silk or silver nappy liners?

Postby PoppyPainting » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:12 pm

My little girl struggles with ongoing nappy rash. Which our gp said was contact dermatitis. I've made a list of things to try in order to get rid of it, eg I wondered whether the paper liners holding wee against her skin could be an issue, or whether to try a bamboo booster as a liner in case it is the fleece she is reacting to, or whether the cream makes things worse by holding moisture against her skin even tho I try to blot her totally dry with loo roll before I put it on.

I'm quite sure now all the detergent has gone from her nappies, they've been rinsed a million times and I've checked every rinse for bubbles and can't see any. So the next thing I'm considering is trying silver or silk liners. I don't want to waste the money tho if they are no good or only possibly good!

Her nappies are pocket nappies with a microfleece insert and I usually use a paper liner and cj's butter cream. At night she's in a disposable with sudocrem and her rash is always less in the morning.

Thankyou for any help, :hug:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Has anyone tried silk or silver nappy liners?

Postby Dora » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 pm

If it was me i'd try the bamboo booster (might stop the compression leaking that microfibre gets), no paper liner and sudocrem as a combination :)

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:03 pm

It could well be the microfleece inners., although paper can also cause problems as it holds wetness next to their skin.

I tried silk liners but didn't really find they worked. My ds1 had horrid nappy rash when he was teeny and it was metanium and frequent changes that cleared it - but needed to be used with fleece liners as it stains! Once it was gone we went back to a more standard changing routine and only used the metanium sparingly when it looked like it might flare up.

Hope you find a solution.

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:51 am

I, like @sim used metanium for bad nappy rash. It clears it up very quickly. They don't have it over in Australia so have just got a friend to bring back a tube, but she bought back 4!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:21 pm

We love fleece liners here!
Paper liners just wriggle about and end up scrunched up - so never seemed to work well for us.

I used to use camomile tea as a wipe solution for James when he was in nappies. It worked lovely to settle any irritation.

With Eleanor we discovered CJ's carcass wash! Perfect as a cloth wipes solution.
We use metanium with fleece liners for when she had bad teething rash (or had had fresh orange juice - as that always gave her a sore bottom)

My avatar
PoppyPainting
Clothie
Clothie

Postby PoppyPainting » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. I thought I'd try her with no paper liner and no cream today thinking it was just holding moisture and wee against her skin, and changed her 2 hourly as well just in case that helped... and so pleased to say the rash has massively improved! So a cheaper solution than trying another sort of liner -- no liner at all!!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat